Polish? Then Clearcoat?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Smitty911

#21 Post by Smitty911 »

If you plan on Anodizing save the time and DON'T POLISH the frame.

When you anodize it affects the surface it will be etched. If you polish first it will NOT hold it's shine. They have what they call a BRIGHT DIP but that is not going to give you the Highly Polished Gold look.

The inserts may need to be replaced as the Anodizing process includeds a mild ACID dip and dependant on time for their process may affect the inserts.

I used to work at a plating shop and tried a couple of things. Not worth the effort, and the cost was Free.

Smitty

LapTraffic

#22 Post by LapTraffic »

Seriously thinking about Anodizing the Sub Frame and swingarm.

Thoughts?

Is it doable?

Anyone have any pics of their efforts?

What kind of prep work am I looking at?

haydug

#23 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by LapTraffic
Seriously thinking about Anodizing the Sub Frame and swingarm.

Thoughts?

Is it doable?  

Anyone have any pics of their efforts?

What kind of prep work am I looking at?

Don't you look at anyone's pictures but your own?? :hammer:

I have several swingarms that are powdercoated, along with some frames, subframes, and just about anything that needs(or doesn't really need) powdercoated, with NO problems. I also am re-doing a bike now for someone from KY, his was an original swingarm(open) that had cracked, we welded it and plated it, then powdercoated it, & it has lasted 2 years with NO problems, and he is very hard on stuff. If anyone remembers, he was the idiot at the first group ride that wrecked before most poeple got out of the bed.

LapTraffic

#24 Post by LapTraffic »

Dont you READ anyone's posts but your own? smile.gif

I said ANODIZE, not powdercoat smile.gif

And just for the record... no. I dont look at anyone's pictures but my own smile.gif