Suspension help

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Derno24

#31 Post by Derno24 »

I am not trying to bash on anyone's work, but I find it hard to believe that anyone is revalving the shocks. Steve can attest to this. The valves in these shocks are not the same as any other shock. So unless the shop feels like having a bunch of shim's and stuff for an ohlins shock than they weren't revalved. Everytime I have seen a conversion they are sprung. Meaning 3 new springs and collars. Some people are just better at it than others. So it should be clarified that these shocks were resprung and not revalved. Again I hate to say it, but I agree with Jwheat call the shop where the shocks can be truely revalved and done right. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! smile.gif

Yes Jwheat it truely hurts to agree with you!tongue.gif :w:

RXM

#32 Post by RXM »

I can tell you for fact Todd@ TCS is revalving them.

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

Front moto's shock are just like a any other shock even use round shims without bypass holes.Whether or not Jeff revalves them I have no idea.I know on my personnel moto shocks I added a ZPS spring but I only lower it for TT because valving is all wrong when lowered for mx and riding.Never got around to experimenting.
I havent done TCS but have rebuilt PEP conversions.They also changed the valving.

jacobw

#34 Post by jacobw »

jeff just resprings them unless you ash him to revavle it for you wieght also.

Derno24

#35 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Front moto's shock are just like a any other shock even use round shims without bypass holes.Whether or not Jeff revalves them I have no idea.I know on my personnel moto shocks I added a ZPS spring but I only lower it for TT because valving is all wrong when lowered for mx and riding.Never got around to experimenting.
I havent done TCS but have rebuilt PEP conversions.They also changed the valving.

Not doubting you, but I have spoke to a couple different shock rebuilders and they won't even touch Ohlins valving. I was told there is 2 shim stacks and they are not exactly like anything else.

On a side note most of the shocks that came from ohlins were sprung and valved for one specific size. So they need to be done for a specific weight and rider style anyway.

cannondale27

#36 Post by cannondale27 »

Derno they are same as any other shock(moto fronts).Should have took pics.Reason lot of builders wont touch them is because too be good at doing them you need to have done alot of them to get close in specs for rider and machine.Huge amount of variables.Thats why like you I wouldnt get them done from anyone who hasnt shown to be very good with them.

jacobw

#37 Post by jacobw »

send them to tcs he can get them done for you propilot racing dont like ssd conversions and they will recommend going with a dual rate again and you will need to buy new springs for you weight and todd@tcs knows about sdd conversions and can get yours right you wont be dissatisfied with his work:)

Exodus

#38 Post by Exodus »

Shooting suspension tips on the interenet isnt easy by any means. If had to make a guess, I would say that there isnt any gas in them. Anyone who has blown a rear shock can attest to a bouncey ride, theres nothing controlling the oil in the shock. Its flowing from the shock body to the ressie without much resistance. One question for you though, if you lift up on the front of the bike, does the SSD spring extend? If thats not the case, then your springs are to long. The SSD spring should be compressed when YOU get on the quad and roll it a bit. When the bike is lifted, the SSD springs should extend fully but you still should have tension in the main springs to keep them from unclipping. Since you have SSD, pull the springs off and see how hard the shock is to compress with no springs. If theres no gas in it, then it shouldnt be to hard to compress, and it wont extend back out. If theres gas, it will extend fully after you push it in.

Exodus

#39 Post by Exodus »

On a side note, I have SSD in all my quads. LOVE IT, and wouldnt trade it. Its the best money I have ever spent as far as shock mods. As for having them done with NO doubts. Go ahead and spend the money and have one of the shock shops do it. I dont know Jeff at the Quad Shop, and have never seen any of his work in person so I cant say he doesnt know what hes doing, in fact I'm sure he does because he wouldnt be in business if he didnt. Its possible he could have made a mistake in biulding your shocks, anyone can do that. Colby at C&D does my shocks and has never let me down even when he makes a mistake, he's the first one who will stand up and fix it, its all in who you trust.

MX Quad Dad

#40 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Originally posted by DIRT
.My opinion I would send my Ohlins to an Ohlins dealer.Who knows more about a shock than people who build them?

From my dealings with Ohlins, you ain't givin your dealer much credit, at least as far as quad shocks go. Olhins was no help to me

I don't know anything about SSD. but the first thing I would do is remove the shocks. Take the spring adjusting clip off. I believe you should be able to replace the clip with very little effort as far as compressing the springs, if you have to compress the spring a long way, I would guess the springs are the biggest part of your problems. Next, completly remove the springs, then with a bathroom scale, place the bottom of the shock in an easy to duplicat spot as close to the center of the scale. A shock with a 250psi charge should start to compress somewhere between 40 - 60 pounds. For my son who weighed 130 pounds we aimed for the lower # . also you should be able to get all the way to the bumper before it doubles the begining of movement #. Well at least this is how we set his up.

While you have the frount shocks off. With the quad on a stand, make sure your suspension moves freely through the full range of the shock. This probubly won't help your problem you posted here but you would be suprised how a little binding in the A-arms or even swingarms can affect handleing.