Tie Rod Ends

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
2000ex

#41 Post by 2000ex »

Why would they need to be made? Did you look at the measurements?

cannondale27

#42 Post by cannondale27 »

Look at the tierods.They taper down to the end thread size.Probably cant find something like that.The ends themselves are attainable just not the rods.

UpsMan

#43 Post by UpsMan »

any machine shop can make tie rods of any length or thread you desire. That would probably be the easiest thing they could do on any given day.

cannondale27

#44 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes and they need work right now.We could even go with the male ends and then use tubing like Yamaha does.Would be lighter yet.

2000ex

#45 Post by 2000ex »

It is nearly impossible to tell by the pics without you pointing it out. I am all for them if you have them made

joep1219

#46 Post by joep1219 »

i would take a couple of sets as well!

NRath

#47 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 18 2009, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes and they need work right now.We could even go with the male ends and then use tubing like Yamaha does.Would be lighter yet.

You could hit up Rodendsupply. They are great people to deal with and can have a tie rod at your door super quick. I switched to aluminum tie rods with male rod ends a long time ago. The rods are tube that's narrowed and threaded to accept the the end. The od is about 7/8". They've been abused and are still holding straight. With my '03 stem and std travel PEP's, they don't hit the frame. I weighed them a long time ago. If memory serves, this set up in a +1 is right at 1/4 lb lighter than our stock set-up per side. Nothing major to gain there, but theyy've held up well. Give 'em the rod length you need and they'll either have it or make it.

cannondale27

#48 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool info.Thanks.

2000ex

#49 Post by 2000ex »

I too will be making the move to male rod ends. I am just sick of replacing these things. I bought a bunch of teflon lined rod ends that were CRAP after 2 rides. Pretty frustrating to say the least. I am pretty sure I am just going to make my own tierods out of chromoly and use the male ends. I have several years on my Walsh rods and ends and they are still tight.

I recall when Jeff from the Quadshop had the tierod boots for our bikes that they tended last a lot longer because they were sealed. I have been trying to find something similar but all of them I have found have openings on each side. Yesterday I found that Midwest Controls HAS the same style boots as just was selling for pretty darn short $$$. About $10 per bike is a pretty good deal, especially if it will greatly lengthen the life of these things.

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/buy.php?item=5461

cannondale27

#50 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool find I was looking for them.I talked to Boomer about these male sealed joints and he is on it.Expect soon.I may give Nraths source a call about the swaged tubing tie rods.If you can take a pic of what you have Wes.Sealed is definitly the key.