Tie Rod Ends

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
2000ex

#51 Post by 2000ex »

Steve,

I believe Midwest control has the swaged rods as well, but they are not aluminum and the wall thickness is a bit lower at .095 vs the .120 wall of the Rodendsupply rods. I am going to call and get some pricing

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/catdisplay_short.php?pg=513

cannondale27

#52 Post by cannondale27 »

laugh.gif Your the man!Done.

Hey come on up to the race and show them A guys how a 6 year old quad can do Wes!There is still time.

2000ex

#53 Post by 2000ex »

I would love to, perhaps next year. I am getting married in early November and am pretty busy until that is over. I still need to find some time to get over to Timbo's and pick up my new E440 Motard. He is doing me a huge favor picking up my new whip for me. I think I may need to make it into another trip over to Majestic while I am there so I can actually get some time to ride those trails. A few hours with you guys was such a tease.

I know where Walsh gets his stuff, and it is known great quality...I will assume not cheap but with these you get what you pay for. FK Rod ends in Southington, CT. I pulled the part number off a set I have on the shelf so I know they last. The problem with heims is the tolerances can be too loose or too tight before you even install them. These are 3-piece, alloy steel, chrome or bright nickel plated, self lubricating.

2000ex

#54 Post by 2000ex »

I got a price on the rods from Rodendsupply and it will be far cheaper to go that route than making chromoly rods. They are a hair under $10 a rod plus shipping. I am going to get two sets made and use two different sets of rod end and see how they hold up. One is an aluminum housing that is anodized red with PTFE liner. The other set is the same PTFE liner but chromoly steel and chromed. I am interested to see how they compare. The aluminum end is almost double the price. They will use the stock jam nuts and the stock spacers and flush bolts. If these work out, perhaps we could do a larger buy and make kits for those interested.

cannondale27

#55 Post by cannondale27 »

Are these Hiems you are looking at?If so dont waste your time.Have been using them from same place for years and they hold up a little better but still no where near as well as a sealed joint.

Happyboy

#56 Post by Happyboy »

Boomer and I were talking the other day about this. I can have rods made up pretty cheap in about any material you want. The non hiem style joints will be shorter so it would be a full set to use them including the rods and ends. $10 a rod ain't bad if you are doing a single set. But my bet is my machine shop buddy can do a ton of sets cheaper than that.

2000ex

#57 Post by 2000ex »

These are Heims I am looking at. All I know is I have two sets of Walsh tierods and ends that use quality male PTFE lined joints and I have 3 seasons of HARD MX racing on them and they are still tight side to side with no slop.

If I can get 3 seasons out of a set of ends, that is good enough for me. I am also going to get the rubber boots to further keep them from contaminating which should even add to their lifespan. If I can build a set of tierods and ends for $50-60 that last that long I am good with it.

Happyboy

#58 Post by Happyboy »

I ran a set of boots on mine for a bit and they wore the joints out faster. Sand, mud, etc... got trapped inside and because the boot was keeping the material in there then there was pressure forcing the gunk into the joint making it wear faster. Sucked.

jesshamner

#59 Post by jesshamner »

Nevermind

claas900

#60 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Oct 6 2009, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ran a set of boots on mine for a bit and they wore the joints out faster. Sand, mud, etc... got trapped inside and because the boot was keeping the material in there then there was pressure forcing the gunk into the joint making it wear faster. Sucked.

A wile ago I did a some research on boots and found what your saying to be true. So ppl where happy but more not so happy. Like you said they hold the junk in. The best thing was just a good high quality part. They just would never let junk get into them.