Suspension help

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CptHook

#81 Post by CptHook »

I have just recently (within the last week or two) shopped around for an LT suspension package. For NEW LT Triple rate comp rebound adjust. ZPS/SSD with piggyback rezzy fronts, and rear CONVERSION to match fronts you are looking between $1300-1700, that was for TCS, Elka, and Ohlins. I will be going with the Ohlins myself although they are the most expensive from what I have been told, they are the best performing of the three.

CDaleChick

#82 Post by CDaleChick »

i got a sponsorship price (pretty much paid for the parts) for the work that jeff did so would that make it wrong to ask him to fix something he did a yr ago and all? The shocks were never right but I never really knew how bad they were until i rode other quads that werent even set up for me and they were still better. Then I got to thinking and realized that they were maybe ok for the first couple rides, but then they never were any great at all that i can really remember...even in those first couple rides.

i asked about new shocks just bc i really never thought my ohlins would ever be worth that much money to fix. I have never been impressed with them so i just assumed it wouldnt be worth it.... but I guess they can be good?

jacobw

#83 Post by jacobw »

if your shock is setup properly it will be a great shock. Even a custom axis shock can ride like poo as derno would put it if not setup properly. I got to talking to a guy about mx and some of his buddies had custom axis and they were bottoming out all the time and they rode bad they were undersprung and they had to send them back what happened is the guy reading the spring chart was reading it wrong and set them up wrong, your shocks just sound setup for a more agressive faster rider. I would bet that jeff just resprung them with a ssd conversion. He did mine that way and I wanted my revalved and I would have had to send them back but I am a heavier guy 185 pounds so they were close enough I could adjust them to my liking. Jeff may or may not redo them my guess prob not since it has been this long. I would say send them to TCS and have todd do them much cheaper than propilot and still get the same results.

Happyboy

#84 Post by Happyboy »

If it was a year ago then you have no right asking someone to fix it. Sorry but that would just be wrong. If you immediately noticed something was strange then yah, I bet Jeff would take care of it, he is a good guy. But a year is normal rebuild time for racers. How would he know if they were just setup wrong or if they were wore out?

Sorry. sad.gif

If only I knew anything about revalving a shock I would offer some help. 27 may be able to help you out....maybe.

gnccblaze440

#85 Post by gnccblaze440 »

just ride the thing, i just found out what shocks really feel like... before my quad felt like a springer front and and a rigid rear. i rode like that for over a year. :eek:

CDaleChick

#86 Post by CDaleChick »

Originally posted by gnccblaze440
just ride the thing, i just found out what shocks really feel like... before my quad felt like a springer front and and a rigid rear. i rode like that for over a year. :eek:

i did that... but when u start getting faster and get over 7' up in the air over a jump then u need good suspension

i wouldnt have had a shattered foot if my suspension was set up right.

i think that riding it like it is is my LAST resort if I dont find a way...but asap that suspension must be done

azcannon

#87 Post by azcannon »

you know I havent heard anybody suggesting getting a little junk in the trunk to compress the springs a little better ?
Works for J-Lo :w:

CDaleChick

#88 Post by CDaleChick »

ha i can eat whatever i want and not gain a pound...in fact i have problems with i lose weight too easy. i went from 118 to 98 once...then back to 118 now im 107

Exodus

#89 Post by Exodus »

I didnt realize that Jeff did the job a year ago, that does make a diffference. If its been that long, it is very possible that whatever oil he used maybe broke down enough it isnt working the way it should. I know Ohlins uses a special oil that they say is what their shocks are specifically vavled for, if he used say Elka oil, then it might have affected the valving or may have broke down to the point where the valving is way off. That will happen to every shock out there, and its especially noticable when your dealing with A class riders. A class tend to pound the shocks way more than any other class. Since it has been a year, I would go to propilot or whatever shock company you trust. Have your shocks serviced, and ask them if they can verify the valving, they are going to have the shock opened up anyway so all they have is a bunch of measuring. Im not sure if they'll charge you the full price just to have the vavling checked, but its worth asking.

Theres something that just amazes me, when you send off a shock to whatever company you want to have them serviced. They open the dang thing up and service it for 50 bucks. But if you want them to revalve the shock they charge you 250, simply amazing how much money it costs to measure shims and place them in the right order according to a guide thats sitting in front of you. I'm in the wrong business.

jacobw

#90 Post by jacobw »

well they have to go to the extra time and work to get the valving right and take into consideration it maye be wrong and have to be sent back I have only seen the charge like an extra 50 buck to revavle them but I dont get out much. And for shock oils they are a little different but wont make that much of a difference. My shock rebuilder uses silkolene oils