Siezed Swingarm Bearing

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdalemx301

Siezed Swingarm Bearing

#1 Post by cdalemx301 »

Well guys i went to pull the bearngs today got one of them out but the other one wont budge it seems like it is siezed up inside the swingarm...Any Ideas on how i can get this out? Thanks MIke

JST

#2 Post by JST »

Ita easy,Dremel tool and a grinding burr.Start in 1 area and continue to work it until it becomes very thin,it will start to then loosen up.Be careful getting to far into the swingarm.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Or you could get a socket that matches the diameter of the bearings then heat the swingarm. Heat will stretch the hole then hit the socket into the bearing.

cdalemx301

#4 Post by cdalemx301 »

Heat won't warp aluminum?

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Not unless you leave the heat on there way too long.

cdalerider75

#6 Post by cdalerider75 »

go and buy some "Mystery oil", yes that is the name of the oil!! Pour the oil into a plastic container then let the swing arm end with the siezed bearings sit in the oil for the day. Then go to this thread and follow the steps on how to remove it. After siting in the oil for a day that should pop right out!!

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Should just be able to press it out. Got a press?

NRath

#8 Post by NRath »

I hate to agree, but I use Derno's technique along with a big C-clamp. A socket pushing on the bearing, then a bigger socket on the other side for the bearing to be squeezed into. Works like a champ once you get a little tension on everything to hold it together. It's a bit of a juggling act till you can get the clamp tight. Extra hands make it a lot easier.

Jaybr

#9 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by NRath
I hate to agree, but I use Derno's technique along with a big C-clamp.  A socket pushing on the bearing, then a bigger socket on the other side for the bearing to be squeezed into.  Works like a champ once you get a little tension on everything to hold it together.  It's a bit of a juggling act till you can get the clamp tight.  Extra hands make it a lot easier.

Why would you use a C-clamp when you have a really nice press a few minutes down the street?

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by NRath
I hate to agree, but I use Derno's technique along with a big C-clamp.  A socket pushing on the bearing, then a bigger socket on the other side for the bearing to be squeezed into.  Works like a champ once you get a little tension on everything to hold it together.  It's a bit of a juggling act till you can get the clamp tight.  Extra hands make it a lot easier.

You agree with me!!!!

Haha!tongue.gif :w: