Dual Damper Setup?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CptHook

Dual Damper Setup?

#1 Post by CptHook »

Been doing some pondering amidst thinking of all the stuff I want to do to my quad (inevitably delaying my rebuild even more rolleyes.gif ). Has anyone ever tried running a dual steering damper setup? Like with the Denton type dampers? I ask because when I look at them it just seems as if its function would be limited due to the way it mounts up, you mount one end on your stem, where it pivots, say the left side of your stem, and then mount it up to the frame on that same side. To me it seems in the range of your steering where the damper is mounted on one particular side of the stem/frame, it is going to favor being steered and or jarred in one particular direction.

So I guess my question would be, what if you ran two dampers, one on each side of the stem/frame? Like either have one mounted just above or below the other on the stem, or maybe even make up a mounting ring in a lathe or something for the stem that has a fitting on both sides of it for two dampers instead of just one. I would think this would be a little more proportional/efficient, and perhaps lessen the load on that one single damper, and spread it across 2 instead. I think I might try this myself considering 2 Denton Dampers are still cheaper than 1 Ohlins or other high-end Damper. Plus I think it would be a cool experiment or project. Thoughts?

Craig_C

#2 Post by Craig_C »

I know J Jones used to run two on his 250R quad.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Not needed.I run mine at 2 or 3 max(denton)even at 1 it has quite a effect.Remember it only needs to work for a very sharp fast hit.A dampner also works both ways evenly in and out so it doesnt matter where it is mounted.
I thought your rebuilt motor was done a few weeks ago?

CptHook

#4 Post by CptHook »

I still think I will try it, maybe with two you could both run them on a setting of 1? Worst case scenario if it doesnt work out I just have a spare whenever the first one breaks down.

Motor came back to me on Friday. Im waiting to get a few things before I put it back together:

- Frame has been sitting out under a cover for 6 months, letting it dry out in heated garage to rid any moisture or condensation in the frame
- Aluminum valve cover
- Motor mount update
- Injector o-rings
- New hoses for the fuel pump regulator vent that goes up to your two barometric pressure hoses and valve cover vent hose. They are all dry rotted.
- Possibly wiring harness update

Smitty911

Frame

#5 Post by Smitty911 »

When some Rubbing Alcohol though the frame. It will not only clean the frame but remove any moisture. Than Blow just shop air though it and your done. Brake cleaner works also.

Smitty

cdaleman440

#6 Post by cdaleman440 »

where can i get a denton steering stabalizer for my dale

CptHook

#7 Post by CptHook »

Im not sure if the site sponsors carry any of them.
http://dentonracing.com/products/steering.php
Order one for the 400ex. There is a thread somewhere on mounting the one up for the 400ex. It's pretty simple.