Rear Shock Dilema

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
MichiganMXer722

Rear Shock Dilema

#1 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

I currently have a rear ohlins shock thats 4 years old and i need to get it serviced rebuilt etc. Now i've made sum phone calls and got a price on an Elka SSD conversion which isn't badly priced but they don't revalve it, so i'm a little iffy on that. I also got a price on a New rear Elka shock but thats a bit pricy. I need to call pro pilot and get a price here soon. How can elka get away with an SSD conversion and not revalve?? I guess i need to sum feedback on the elka conversion, my bike will only being doing one thing and thats jumping, no racing or trail riding just jumping so i need a shock to handle it. Thanx for your help!

Jordan

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

I really like the SSD I have. I have TCS conversion and an Elka conversion and really can't tell a difference. As for the valving....I bet Elka just swaps the springs out and calls it done. Just tell who ever does it to revavle it also.

MichiganMXer722

#3 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

Well the shop i called for a price on the conversion said he doesn't revalve them due to the complicated valving system on the Ohlins?

Smitty911

Well than -

#4 Post by Smitty911 »

I wouldn't go there. P.E.P. re-worked my Ohlins and put on the ZPS. They have a long lead time so better get started now.

Smitty

MichiganMXer722

Re: Well than -

#5 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

Originally posted by Smitty911
I wouldn't go there.  P.E.P. re-worked my Ohlins and put on the ZPS.  They have a long lead time so better get started now.

Smitty

I'd like to have a full set of PEP's but i'd like to beable to ride before july:hammer:

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Happyboy
I really like the SSD I have.  I have TCS conversion and an Elka conversion and really can't tell a difference.  As for the valving....I bet Elka just swaps the springs out and calls it done.  Just tell who ever does it to revavle it also.

Huh? I am not trying to start with you, but read what you said. You should have it revalved, but you can't tell the difference between the one that was and the one that wasn't. Does that maybe tell you it wasn't revalved. I am just asking. I still have to agree with Dirt. I have had the chance to ride 3 different companies revalves one of them was a TCS. I then went out and rode a Propilot set-up rear and there is absolutely no compettion there. It works ten times better. I am not saying that the work was junk just conversions in my book are no match for the actual parts.

MichiganMXer722

#7 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

Just talked to Pro Pilot, very very knowledgeable shop. They quoted me a cheaper price then the elka rebuild plus it has a warranty. I'll be shipping it out after the holidays if everything goes as planned! Anymore feedback would be appreciated, never hurts to learn more

JOrdan

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Let us know what you think of the ProPilot job.Seems to be THE place to go.I have serviced,stock,PEP and Elka conversions.None were revalved.Just different springs.They work but always room for improvement.

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by Derno24
Huh?  I am not trying to start with you, but read what you said.  You should have it revalved, but you can't tell the difference between the one that was and the one that wasn't.  Does that maybe tell you it wasn't revalved.  
ROFL
I didn't mention if they were revalved or not. tongue.gif I got them used and have no idea if they were revalved or not. But, they feel identical to each other if that says anything. The reason I said to tell them to revalve is because he mentioned he wanted them to be done.

Psychosis

#10 Post by Psychosis »

Originally posted by MichiganMXer722
Just talked to Pro Pilot, very very knowledgeable shop.  They quoted me a cheaper price then the elka rebuild plus it has a warranty.  I'll be shipping it out after the holidays if everything goes as planned!  Anymore feedback would be appreciated, never hurts to learn more

JOrdan

Care to post or pm me what they're charging you? Looking for a place to redo my shocks. Wasn't satisfied w/last place. Good but could be better.