STIFF SUSPENSION?? Any Ideas?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
sac45310

STIFF SUSPENSION?? Any Ideas?

#1 Post by sac45310 »

So I am now officially a Cannondaler... I bought a 2002 Cannibal a few months ago that was in good shape. This bike is FUN!

I've changed all the oil and have greased everything up. I took it out a few times and it goes FAST!!! but the suspension is a real problem.

FRONT SHOCKS
I have the black front shocks that are Arvins? The springs are on the next to softest setting and I have the orhin? rear adjustable shock. I have yet to adjust this but...

I tested them against my friends shocks, 2006 Raptor 700, 2003 raptor 660, and a 2004 Honda 450 with Elkin? shocks that cost $1500.

My shocks were VERY stiff and felt like they may only be riding on the springs... they don't compress too much when I get on it (Although I do run about 6' 1" 235 pounds... so some compression is expected)

The thing is my wife needs a new car so I can't go spending thousands on getting this quad update? (Happy wife, happy life!)

Any ideas on how to improve the suspension or to check if the shocks are working? I don't see any leaking fluid in the shocks? I haven't yet taken the shocks off but will do it after the new year.

I took a look on ebay and noticed that there were some new Arvin? front shocks available cheap but this would jut be replacing the crap I have? Should I do this? Are these shocks good enough for an agressive trail rider. I'm not a big jumper or racer... just putt-putt on trails(ok so I go a little faster than just putt-putt... but I'm definetly not a racer)

I have a friend that has the original front shocks from his 2003 honda 400ex and he says they are good and would probably fit. Should I try to find used shocks or originals that were upgraged from other bikes? What would fit.. I noticed the measurements were 15 3/4" with eye to eye.

Anybody know an inexpensive way for me to pick up a set of used front shocks (or new) that will significantly improve the suspension on my bike..???

I've attached a pic of the bike.

REAR SHOCKS
I'm also looking for any ideas on the rear shocks. I have yet to adjust it but it just doesn't have the same feel as any other quad I've riden... it's just really stiff..

Thanks in advance for all your help... I really like my Cannibal and want it to be able to keep up with the Raptors...

sad.gif

jacobw

#2 Post by jacobw »

the rear ohlins is a really good shock you just need to adjust the compression and rebound as for the fronts I would get some tcs triple rated and doug can get them for you for about 750 a pair with rezzies or you can get the non rezzy cheaper those arvins are junk or of you can get ahold of some speed ohlins they will be much better but aftermarket is the only way to got get some tcs you will be glad you did

sac45310

Aftermarket...

#3 Post by sac45310 »

Yeah that's what my buddies said... they said works or elkin? were the one's to get... They said it's well worth it...

CannondaleRider

#4 Post by CannondaleRider »

That would be Elka Suspension

Elka Suspension

I would go with them over Works shocks, they are a bigger jump in price over Works, but you get what you pay for

As for your front shocks, Arvins are crap, I wouldn't doubt them being "frozen"

jacobw

#5 Post by jacobw »

works are average shocks they are better than stock but not what I would run. I had a set of elkas they work great but they dont put all the attention into them they need more of a mass produced shock but it you have enough time to adjust them like I had to do then you can get them to work good. But TCS makes a more custom setup that gets all the attention you pay for from aftermarket shocks.smile.gif Pm haydug he will hook you up with either elkas for TCS they are cheaper and just as good as eklas

sac45310

Any Shocks for sale?

#6 Post by sac45310 »

I guess I should have also asked if anyone had any stock shocks for sale...

Obviously I'd prefer adjustable but am not picky for the right shock.

(Thanks to patmc81 for the info)

PM me if you have any shocks you think I might want to put on my 02 Cannibal...

THANKS!

Mjollnir

#7 Post by Mjollnir »

Hey Sac, I'm right down the road from you in Modesto, or thereabouts. I may be selling some Glamis Ohlins in the near future, they also have the Blaze upper spring on them, which makes them a poor man's dual rate. I'm about your size, recreational rider, and they ride real nice.

Here's what they look like, you can kinda see the upper spring:

banzairx7

#8 Post by banzairx7 »

The front suspension can bind on the pivot points. Backing off the the bolts that hold the a-arms to the frame a hair helps. Grease the heck out of the bolts too. I've seen that be the problem with a very stiff front end a few times.

RoooStEr Pops

#9 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

EX 400 shocks do fit. So if your friends are better than yours use them to get by till you can upgrade. You will have to shim the top a little but not much.:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Easy E

#10 Post by Easy E »

Yah, had the same issue with the Arvins on my FX400. Bought some Ohlins from a guy for $100 and that fixed it right up!