Lost front brakes...

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
sac45310

Lost front brakes...

#1 Post by sac45310 »

Well I went out last week and lost my front brakes... causing me to take a header at about 15-20mph... It was that or the tree!!! Both my self and the quad rolled once and popped back upright. Just a bruised ego and a little cracked plastic.

Not really sure what went wrong but the brakes have nothing... no resistance. I've pumped them and nothing... there doesn't look to be fluid leaking anywhere and I really don't know the history of the quad as I just picked it up a month or so ago.

I read on of the brake forums that a guy had a similar problem and that he bleed the brakes several times in differnet ways before it worked?

Any ideas/suggestions? I figured I'd ask before I start tearing everything apart... You guys seem to be VERY helpful when it comes to getting to know this beast of a quad (FYI I have a 2002 Cannibal with all the updates done it it)

Thanks in advance for the help!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Your lever goes all the way to the bars?I wonder if it was low on fluid?If thats the case and it was low and just sucked air in definitly try bleeding them.If not low on fluid and you pumped them a couple times and didnt work I would really not trust the master cylinder.Its hard to know just what went on here since your not the original owner.(he may have been changing something and not properly bled them)there are rebuild kits and I believe ours is same as a D.S. Bombadier.

sac45310

#3 Post by sac45310 »

Fluid was fine... I checked the bike overbefore my first ride as I do with everything I buy!

Lever goes all the way down. No response when pumping it...

Anybody know where I might be able to buy a rebuilt master cyl. or a kit?

Thanks...

cdaleman440

#4 Post by cdaleman440 »

mine kinda did that but all i had to do to get the brakes back was just pumpthe lever alot while riding.
but then i just reblead the brakes and now there tip top

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

This has happened to me before also. It has happened twice, both which were races. I had absolutely no resistance as you described. It was almost like it was a cable brake and the cable was disconnected. Anyway, I kept going and eventually my brakes came back. It didn't take too long for them to come back. I'm not sure what the cause is but they haven't done that for a while.

Craig_C

#6 Post by Craig_C »

My rear brakes have had a history of doing the same....and Ive bleed them at least 10 times....Only really happens during hard riding. My rear rotor is worn out....too thin....I thought maybe it was getting hot and boiling the fluid....But at Lorettas it was too wet and cold for the rear brakes to ever get that hot. So that was ruled out. I may go ahead with a new master cyl if I havent fixed my problem

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Just to clarify my response, it was my front brakes that went out. And one event ocurred after hitting a tree pretty hard with my right front tire. Not sure if the tree had anything to do with it, but it happened just after the collision.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Originally posted by jesshamner
Just to clarify my response, it was my front brakes that went out.  And one event ocurred after hitting a tree pretty hard with my right front tire.  Not sure if the tree had anything to do with it, but it happened just after the collision.

One explanation for this happening is if the caliper hits something and the piston gets pushed in from that there will be too much play between the pads and then the next time you go for brakes there is nothing or worse yet one will work and one that has play wont pulling you sideways.Then next time the brakes will be fine because by hitting the brakes you put the pads and piston back in there proper position.I have had this happen to me after running over a few small trees to get around someone.Scared the heck out of me!I actually try to never count on either front or back brakes now always ready to use both.A warped rotor will do the same thing pushing the piston too far back from wobble.Sacs problem seems more serious since he cant get it to work even after pumping the brakes.

I believe the same place that makes pivot works bearing sets sell rebuild kits.I AM NOT SURE THE DS CYLINDER IS SAME.They look identical but never took either apart to know for sure.

sac45310

Rebuild kits /New cylinders...

#9 Post by sac45310 »

Thanks for all the info...

CAn anyone point me to a website or phone number of a place that has the rebuild kits or a new or reman cylinder?

This weekend I will try to bleed the brakes and see what happens... Cross my finger!!!

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

27, Do you have any thoughts on the "no resistance" symptoms? When mine went out, it didn't even feel like there was any fluid behind it.