Rear Ohlins shock differences

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
MI_CDALE_Rider

Rear Ohlins shock differences

#1 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Is there a difference between the different model C'Dale Ohlins rear shocks?

i.e. did a Blaze come with a different rear Ohlins then the Speed etc... I think I read there were some spring rate or strength differences but I'm not sure about eye to eye length.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Eye to eye length is the same on all of them, the difference is in the valving I believe.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Valving and springs are different.

MI_CDALE_Rider

#4 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Thanks,

Does anyone know what those valving differences might be between the different models (Blaze, Speed etc..)

smile.gif

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Going along the intended purposes of each model can give you some ideas. The Moto was a motocrosser, the Blaze a woods bike, the Glamis is for the dunes, etc. The Cannibal and Speed probably had the least amount of thought in them and would be more all-purpose designs. But since the shock is the same on all models, you can make it what ever you want. Check with the new suspension sponser here on the site.

MI_CDALE_Rider

#6 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Kdeal,

Thanks, I knew the intent of each model just not 100% sure what the real difference is say between a Speed and Blaze rear Ohlins and if any change (spring/ revalve) is required. I'm looking at a rear Ohlins from a Speed but I ride hare scrambles on a Cannibal.

I did email the new suspension sponser with the question, so we will see if he responds.

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Moto and Blaze have the softer spring rate. Glamis has the same spring as the Cannibal/Speed, but totally different valving. Later production have the 12mm lower bushing for the '03 swingarm.
Early Cannibal FX400 and later '03 Can/Speed may have some internal difference? not sure CN1770 vs CN1771?

jacobw

#8 Post by jacobw »

dave I talked to ohlins I have a cn1771 and from what they told me if the shock changed any at all it got a new number but if it didnt the cn1770 was one year and the cn1771 was the next years model without any changes its the same as the cn1770 the the cn1771 just denotes the same shock with no changes for the nest years model, did that make any sense, understand or not?biggrin.gif

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

yep that sounds logical. As for the fronts, the Cannibal/Speed CN1741 and CN1742 are also claimed to be the exact same shock.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

They also told me there were 150 different valving combos for the quad rear shocks.