what is the difference ?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
kstevens

what is the difference ?

#1 Post by kstevens »

what is the differencebetween an 02 stem and an 03?

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

The term 02 or 03 is a year designation but there are some 03 style stems on some 2002s. I think all of the Motos came with the 03 style stem. The difference is in the mount for the handlebars. It is either in line with the long stem tube or it is kicked up slightly towards the sky when mounted. The other significant difference and the most important for the Moto model is the lower mounting plate for the tie rods is at a different angle to keep from binding up the tie rods at full extension or compression of the LT type suspension.

Exodus

#3 Post by Exodus »

And not all the Motos came with that stem. Theres one here that is completely shock, and the tie rods bind.

kstevens

#4 Post by kstevens »

thanks

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I have the #44 Moto. it had the 02 (as you call it) style. I don't think I was the first to find out about the interferance, but when I did, I called Cannondale and told them about it. and as soon as they got the new style, they sent me one FREE.

I am not 100% sure but, I believe the earlyer models didn't have the mount for the stableizer. so that would make at least 3 differant stems.

I believe John Arens made the stems for Cannondale. from what I remember, he said they started putting the tabs for the stabilizer linkage on all the stems when the Moto and blaze was to come with the Ohlins stabliser. Then after I found the problem with my Moto I talked to him agian and I belive he said they were changeing the angle the bars mount to and moveing the tie-rod tab up, I think he said 5/8" (but its been 4 years) I have both so I could measure if someone needs to know.

kstevens

#6 Post by kstevens »

i was just wondering what the difference was, i heard people talking about them, and i was thinking about going to a wide front end, but if it binds the tie rods... i dont know now

badvox

Wow

#7 Post by badvox »

I was wondering why after I put my new arms the tie rods looked like they might touch. Yikes. ha ha

I love it!! Guess I have the old style.

theJeStEr1340

#8 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Wow, had no idea they were that different.

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Originally posted by kstevens
i was just wondering what the difference was, i heard people talking about them, and i was thinking about going to a wide front end, but if it binds the tie rods... i dont know now

I think it only affects Long travel. The way to check is to lift the frount end, and with the suspension fully extended, turn the bars from stop to stop. 02 Moto with old style stem, will not turn far enough to hit the stops.

Another thing is, you can tell the new style stem by the angle of the bar mount. The new style the bolt that holds the bar clamp to the stem is in line with the stem. the old style is tilted forward quite a bit.