Front brake trouble

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
banzairx7

#1 Post by banzairx7 »

My front brake lever has to much throw before the brakes work well. They are bled properly- no spongieness. The lever comes up hard when you pull it, it just takes to much throw to do it. I've ridden other cdales andthey have easily half the throw that mine does. I pinch my fingers with the lever. I checked all the brake slides and nothing was hanging up.

any ideas what I can do to reduce the throw?

GDITheman

#2 Post by GDITheman »

how much brake pad do you have left?

banzairx7

#3 Post by banzairx7 »

I'd guess 30-50%. Not really sure how thick they started at. The center groove is still visible.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

When the center groove is gone, your are 85% worn out!.. Pad thickness starts at 5.5mm OEM. I stock 'em if you need a set.

cdaleman440

#5 Post by cdaleman440 »

i need a reat set of pads boomer drop me a pm with price and where to pay you

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

I tried, thanks, but keep getting errors in sendbox... maybe email your email?
pacrimdm@msn.com

banzairx7

#7 Post by banzairx7 »

Well after much hassle I finally fixed my brakes. No matter how many different ways I tried I could not get a firm lever or had excessive throw. I tried every technique listed on here with no luck.

What I finally did get to work was a mityvac hand vacuum pump. I did two things that really helped.

One was degassing the brake fluid before putting it in the bike. The mityvac kit I got from autozone has a little cannister with two fittings on it. I put the fluid in there blocked off one port and hooked the pump to the other side. When you get above 20" vacuum you can see all the dissolved gasses start coming out of the fluid. At my job we do this with all our hydraulic fluids and it makes a big difference for keeping air content down in the system.

The second was actually using the vacuum pump to pull the fluid out of the calipers. I would keep the bleeder closed, pull a vacuum of 20-25" then crack the bleeder every so slightly 3-4 times. Then I would open the bleeder a little more and use the lever to push fluid through the system. I made sure to always keep a vacuum of more than 10" while doing this. So it was go to 20"+ then stop bleeding at 10". This was also done wit the the little catch can inline of the pump.

This will also help you at the track with arm pump. After 10 minutes of pumping that thing my forearms were throbbing tongue.gif

I now have a nice firm lever. I would like to get an adjustable lever. Anyone know of one that fits that dale?

quadprorider

#8 Post by quadprorider »

I've got a like new Honda 450r mastercylinder with a like new RTC adjustable lever. If your interested let me know and I will send you a price for both shipped(would rather cell together) Thanks, Nick.