Wheels and Tires for Mx advice

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
badvox

#1 Post by badvox »

WHats up y'all. A little background for ya. Been riding mostly track this year and I have to say
I am really liking it. I am riding with my stock wheels and tires from ATK. Itp Holeshots and wheels.
I think they are 21" tires. Great for desert but rough in cornering on the track.

I will most likely be looking for used sets but you'll never know.

In order to make a good decision here either way I'd like to get some general discussion on
size and types of choices to look for when purchasing.

I know 18" tires for track how about wheel offsets and stuff? Bead Lock no bead lock?
I've seen lots of suzuki guys with there stock sets getting replaced. WOuld that be
a good choice just to get a feel for the smaller wheel and tire before I spend more money?

Thanks in advance.

toothandnail

#2 Post by toothandnail »

we run 20's we've tried the 18's but switched back, I don't think the loss of traction is worth the trade off of the lower height it's only 1"

Sandstorm

#3 Post by Sandstorm »

i run 18" Turf Tamers. They are much smaller then any other !8" tire and get the quad super low.. I run 19" up front.. Suzuki OEM wheels are much strong then .190's so if you can get a set by all means do it.. Beadlocks are for hardcore B level racers and up who are very aggressive and catch good air..

azcannon

#4 Post by azcannon »

Sandstorm I agree suzuki wheels are pretty good but is it worth it to not finish a race because you bang a wheel and get a flat? I also like the warranty on a hiper ( that why I have a few ). I think if you pick up a set of stock ltz450's you will be doing well and I also think you can't regret buying beadlocks even if you are horribly slow like me.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Stock Suzuki rims are just like all the other OEM rims.They have a nice rolled lip for great ding protection but they are like butter in the center.More like the bell part.They will bend guaranteed.Wont look bent but if you spin the tire it will wobble.The tires Suzuki has are dang nice though.

theJeStEr1340

#6 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Go with 20" MX tires up front, the 20's tend to follow other lines less and if it is in a ruth will come out eaiser than a 19.

I run 18's in the rear because that is what I have always run. I Really like the way MXR-4's handle (I havn't tried the MXR-6's yet). I run them on 8" wide rims because I find them more predictable and easier to slide than a 9" rim. I got a set of beadlocks for the rear because I got them at a deal and knew I would be needing them eventually, I put a pretty good size ding in a stock wheel.

Sandstorm

#7 Post by Sandstorm »

QUOTE (azcannon @ May 29 2006, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sandstorm I agree suzuki wheels are pretty good but is it worth it to not finish a race because you bang a wheel and get a flat? I also like the warranty on a hiper ( that why I have a few ). I think if you pick up a set of stock ltz450's you will be doing well and I also think you can't regret buying beadlocks even if you are horribly slow like me.

I agree w/ what your saying.. Hipers are very expensive though. You have to admit that OEM wheels are much better then 190's though..

badvox

#8 Post by badvox »

Thanks all for chiming in. I think I will try to snag a set of rears of a new Zook. It will be inexpensive and a good solid change from what I have now. That way if I like the change I can decide to invest at a later date.

So, anyone have any stock Zook rears up for grabs? :-)

Thanks all for chiming in. I think I will try to snag a set of rears of a new Zook. It will be inexpensive and a good solid change from what I have now. That way if I like the change I can decide to invest at a later date.

So, anyone have any stock Zook rears up for grabs? :-)

Exodus

#9 Post by Exodus »

If I'm not mistaken, arent the Zook rims made by DID. I think they are and 27 is right they are like butter in the middle. If you get any kind of air they will wobble up pretty fast. I have been running Kenda Klaws MXR's and MXF's and have been very happy. They are just the best tire I have ever run. I run the 18's on the rear and the 20's on the front, mounted up on ITP bajas. For the money, you cant go wrong with the bajas, I have beat the crud out of mine and they are still straight and true. For less than a 100 bucks apiece you cant get to much better.

azcannon

#10 Post by azcannon »

I have a set of the baja's too. Man are they cool.
I think if you get the zook rims you wont be sorry , I can send you a set of lugnuts (I think) to mount them ( I had a set of suzi rims ) Whatever you decide eventually you will need another set rims don't last forever racing