Front right brakes dragging

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
jshort

#1 Post by jshort »

What would cause the brake pads to drag on the front right side. I check my rotor and it is not warped. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

RonDK

#2 Post by RonDK »

Check if the caliper is stuck.

jshort

#3 Post by jshort »

How do you check this and if it is how do I fix it.

Thanks,
Jason

RonDK

#4 Post by RonDK »

See if the piston is stuck out and not retracting. If they are, leave the brake pad on and squeeze with channel locks so the pistons go back in the caliper. Just make sure you do them both evenly. If you push one piston at a time, the other may pop out and the caliper is done. That is why you leave the brake pad on, so you can squeezer both of them at the same time.

jshort

#5 Post by jshort »

RonDK,

I pushed the pistons back in using the brake pad. I put the caliber back on and when I used the brake the pistons/brake pad stayed out and wouldn't retract. What can I do to fix this?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Check the pins the caliper slides on.They can cause binding.Also the pads dont retract a whole lot just enough to let rotor free.They will drag a little.As matter of fact I believe the rotor actually is what pushes the pad and piston back in.Releasing brake just releases pressure.That said if your piston at the master cylinder(brakelever)is sticking and not coming out all the way it would also cause the brakes to hang.

RonDK

#7 Post by RonDK »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 20 2006, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As matter of fact I believe the rotor actually is what pushes the pad and piston back in.Releasing brake just releases pressure.

I guess that makes these "floating" calipers? How are you checking if they are sticking? Is it dragging real bad while riding or is the wheel just not spinning freely while the front end is off the ground? Did you check the hub bearings?