Adjusting Elka SSD's???

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Sandstorm

Adjusting Elka SSD's???

#1 Post by Sandstorm »

My Elkas are to soft. They are quad rate 19" SSD's. If I turn the collar down will this stiffen the preload or just adjust the ride height. They are fully adjustable shocks, but I am not happy w/ them.. They are harsh also. I bought them new for my weight and Moto arms and they SUCK... Can TCS or anybody else revalve them on the west coast???

josborn

#2 Post by josborn »

If the shocks feel mushy you can try adding preload, but that only works until the front end of the quad is about an 1" higher than the rear. Then the front and rear would be too far out of balance. Does it roll over, or want to lift the rear wheel in the turns or just feel spongy on jumps? You may have to add crossover spacers between springs, that's if they changed from the onepiece hardware to the normal spring hardware and crossover spacer like a works pep, axis, or tcs. If you want to cure roll over at high speed add an 1/8" thick crossover spacer to the top spring, not the ssd spring, if you want to stiffen them in whoopy sections add 1/8" in the middle spring(just above the main spring). If they feel "harsh" try backing the comp adjuster back like 5 clicks counterclockwise, soft. You can send them back to Elka, they are very receptive to your input. My experience is that elkas like most shocks come sightly slow on damping, so I'd try the clicker first. good luck.

jamiesel

#3 Post by jamiesel »

I have the same set up as you but +3> I found that the elka was set up more for dirt. I had to back of the the preload way way off to sweeten it up. It is a bit mushy now but dreamy in the sand. Don't forget the rebound adjustment on bottom.

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

Well I'm getting jarring when landing off jumps. The sand is okay, but the mx tracks is not good. Whoops are fine and so is cornering. I should be landing on a cushion and I'm not. I've had Works shocks w/ no adjustment that were plusher on my 250r.. I've emailed Quadshop twice w/ no response back.. My preload collar was to the top when I received them new. I have turned it down about .25" w/ a somewhat firmer feel. Maybe I should turn the collar down some more. My rear is the stock Ohlins and it works fine and I see no need to change it. I run 19" fronts on the track w/ tiny 18" turf tamers in the rear. My quad sits level. I am going to the dunes twice in the next week and I am gonna try moving the collar down. Rebound is fine.

josborn

#5 Post by josborn »

I've had similiar experience, but only on a set of shocks with the clickers all the way soft. First, I would check to make sure your ride height is correct with a tape measure and you on the quad. Get buddy to help ya out. The front should be around 1/4-1/2" higher (just before the kick in the frame at the bottom frame rail) than the rear (measure bottom frame rail under the footpeg). I usually run 8" in the rear and 8.5" in the front. If your ride height is set correctly, and the quad wants more preload to combat bottoming then I'd say the main spring is too soft or there is not enough crossover in the next to bottom spring. You can call Elka, they have a 1-800 #, the Elka boys are very willing to help all customers, I'd give them a call.

Sandstorm

#6 Post by Sandstorm »

I'll call Elka.. I was jumping at the dunes today and for the amount of air I'm doing I shouldn't feel anything. I had my compression almost all the way stiff. You should only have to do that if you are a pro and are on hardpacked. I'm riding dunes for healls sake..:mad:

HouserCannondale

#7 Post by HouserCannondale »

i just got a new cannondale with houser +3 long travel and 19in tcs shocks and the difference is tremondus from a 300ex with works. but i noticed when the bike is just sitting it has all 3 springs compresesd except for the longest spring. is this normal?? it jumps great but is kind of stiff on smaller bumps. how could i fix this?

Sandstorm

#8 Post by Sandstorm »

Mine were good on the small stuff, but the jumps they were jarring me. I got new main springs that are a lighter coil. Elka didn't charge me for them. I have been messing with the spacers so I would try the top spacer, buy flipping it over. Take your shock off flip it over w/ the top on a rag on the ground and push down on the main spring and slide the spacer clip off the shaft that sits on the bottom of the spring. By bottom I mean the top since your shock is flipped over.. Then put the shock on it's side and slide off your springs and spacers. Do one shock at a time so you have a reference to go by.. Or call TCS. I called Elka and am getting first rate customer service...

josborn

#9 Post by josborn »

-Sandstorm, glad to see you are getting your shocks worked out.

-Ken, the middle spring should not be compressed or locked out at ride height, this makes that spring completely useless, beacause it is not working will you ride. The idea is to