Steering Stems

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Psychosis

#1 Post by Psychosis »

I can't recall the answer but which steering stem is the more desired/newer one? I was going through my parts and I'm starting to assemble one of my frames now and found a stem that has the vertical mounts for the handlebars and another than has the slanted mounts on top. Which one was the more desired one exactly? And what would be the disadvantage of the one that is least desired. Thanks to whoever can answer this!

Better one will be on race quad, practice quad will get other one. I've got another stem in storage but can't recall which it is.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Slanted.Also has damper mount and lowered and moved tierod position.Nicer steering input and tierods wont hit frame.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

C27, I think you have that backwards. The steering stem with the mounts in line with the angle of the stem (called the '03 stem) is the later one as used on Motos. The one with the "slanted" tilting foward mount when installed (called the "02 stem) came on all the early bikes even before the Moto was made. Every stem I have (02 & 03) has the steering damper mounts, but I do not have a Moto, so I can not vouch for the plate angle.

Psychosis

#4 Post by Psychosis »

I've looked and measured up parts on both stems and they are identical w/the exception of one being slanted up top and one straight. There is no other difference. So instead I want the straight stem rather than the slant or does it make a difference?

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Psychosis @ Mar 25 2007, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've looked and measured up parts on both stems and they are identical w/the exception of one being slanted up top and one straight. There is no other difference. So instead I want the straight stem rather than the slant or does it make a difference?

I think me & C27 are saying the same thing but explaining it differently. Go to the 2002 Cannibal for sale in the sale section by CDSRacer. The stem on that bike is the early 02 slanted foward stem. The in-line with the stem tube one is the later one.

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

Alright, I've got it now. Funny though b/c the quad that was made earlier has the newer stem and the one made later has the older stem. Both original too. Only 13 away from each other in production line too.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Yup the one that was inline is newest.Some of the angled-vs-stem also did have lowered tierod mount but I believe the holes were in different position?

Psychosis

#8 Post by Psychosis »

The two I have are identical so I guess both newer ones, just the slant vs nonslant. I measured everything to be sure and neither are any different.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Psychosis @ Mar 25 2007, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, I've got it now. Funny though b/c the quad that was made earlier has the newer stem and the one made later has the older stem. Both original too. Only 13 away from each other in production line too.

Just bacause the VIN is lower doesn't mean it went out the door first. Some were redone again due to problems before going out the door. Classic example is the 2002 X440s models. The frames are coded 2001 (MX400) and they still had the S1000 ECUs, where as the 2002 Cannibal early models did not. They also got factory aluminum valve covers as well!