are all dale steering stems the same??

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
moto440

#1 Post by moto440 »

dont think a moto stem should look like mine, are the all the same i thought so but figured i would ask before i get one

also wondered if anyone had ever had the dowel pin break in there damper check this out

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

No they are not all the same. There were 2 different stems that I know of. I think the only difference is the angle of the handlebar clamp.

moto440

#3 Post by moto440 »

cool nice to know i think i will try bending it back first i have a press at work

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Jan 23 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No they are not all the same. There were 2 different stems that I know of. I think the only difference is the angle of the handlebar clamp.

There are two different ones. But the newer version (Bar clamp parallel to the stem) the Tab for the inner tie rod is higher (I think about 5/8"). I heard a lot of people say it was raised to improve the bump steer, but I believe the main problem is that with the lower tab mount and long travel suspension you have a tie rod interference at full extension.

As far as I know John Arens made the factory stems. and both the Bar clamp angle and the tie rod tab changes were made at the same time. But I guess its always possible there were some with only one change from the original design

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Oh yeah; on the dowel pin. We have had the same problem

moto440

#6 Post by moto440 »

ok cool i am not alone on the pin, never seen that before!! trying to find a new pin here at work for it

thedeatons

#7 Post by thedeatons »

This was discussed already. There were three stems made. Try a search.

FYI Brad at Black Widow has an inexpensive source for Ohlins Dampener rebuilds. You might try calling them....

moto440

#8 Post by moto440 »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jan 23 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was discussed already. There were three stems made. Try a search.

FYI Brad at Black Widow has an inexpensive source for Ohlins Dampener rebuilds. You might try calling them....

made a new pin before leaving work after i welded the hanger back onto my header, the stem goes to the press tomorrow

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

That stem does not look like a factory Moto piece. You may also have problems when you convert back to the stock Moto front end. The tie rods may hit the a-arms at full travel. There is a difference in the lower plate on some stems. From what we can tell all of the the straight top stems have the right bottom plate, the angled top stems like the the one you have can be either way. The steering dampener pin could have broke when the steering stem damage was done.

moto440

#10 Post by moto440 »

what i am planning to do is try and straighten the stem best i can in the press, and then my moto arms will be here before i have shocks so i will put them on and using a floor jack drop the front end and look for them to touch. is there and aftermarket stem such as LSR or something that takes care of the problem, i may just use this one until i can afford one of those then if thats true