this can't be right? Elka's

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Ryanstones

this can't be right? Elka's

#1 Post by Ryanstones »

OK, got these triples, SSD/rezzies from a well known member with very low hours. QuadShop revalved the fronts for my weight, said the rear was fine, even though the prev owner is a bit of a chunk and outweighs me by 60 lbs.
Installed em last night and man does the rear sag!!! Must be 5"! The SSD spring is completely compressed and the crossover bushing(?) is noisy on the shock body. The ride is good on the fronts, and still better than the ohlins on the rear, but i feel like it should be better?! I'm wanting to hit the track tomorrow and get a better feel for whoops and some air. Whattayathink?

Ryanstones

500 posts..........loooooozer.....

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

another view:D
The rear has only one main spring(dual rate?), the crossover bushing and an SSD? spring. I'll have to get a pic.

Ryanstones

shouldn't it sit more like this one

#3 Post by Ryanstones »

with peps?

AlaskaSpeed

#4 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

I would get a hold of the lard *** that you bought them from and ***** him out!tongue.gif

AlaskaSpeed

#5 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Ryan,
Seriously, check for oil level in the shock. I am no expert, but isn't it possible that the reason it sags like that is because the spring is doing all the work with no oil to help it? JIM

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Something is wrong.Probably just not adjusted right.Either the fronts are cranked up to high or the rear is too low.Possibly the gas is out of rear but I doubt it.Take the rear shock off and remove the spring push the shaft in if it comes back out gas and probably oil are good.Then put it all back together and set the ride height by changing the (preload)zps doesnt have preload what you are setting is the ride height.on level ground quad should be level front to back.Doesnt Elka give you a spec sheet to show how they are set up?

AlaskaSpeed

#7 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

No spec sheet came with the shocks...just a little booklet with some info, but not a sheet like you get with the PEPs. I checked the nitrogen a week before and it was at 150psi. When I called Elka, they said that was right on. They also told me tht 4-5 inches of sag was right on as well. I mentioned oil being low or out just because it is the first thing that came to me that might make sense for how it sits. It has always been that way though, since brand new and I just believed Elka when they told me that it was right. JIM

Ryanstones

#8 Post by Ryanstones »

OH, you mean i was supposed to read the directions!? :confused:
Thanks guys, I can't believe it's more than a setup problem. The rear responded well yesterday, so probably an operator headspace problem. Maybe i just need to lower the fronts and find a TT track!

jamiesel

#9 Post by jamiesel »

I have elka fronts. mine sagged like that untill I cranked up preload.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

If you want it high just raise the rear.Alaska if you checked the nitrogen charge just the process of checking it will lower the charge by almost 50lbs by the time you get the guage off.The nitrogen is mostly to make the seals seal but it does have an slight effect on everything else.