Heim joints & balljoints

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
desertbound

#1 Post by desertbound »

Anyone have a supplier for heims and ball joints? I'm building a set of arms right now and my supplier doesn't have what I need. I need a set of upper heims and lower balljoins that are an exact replica of the roll design arms. I contacted them, but they won't give me any info.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

send pics with details? I have heims in two sizes,... males, and great balljoints with spindle adapters. Houser has an assortment also, of various cups styles.
I can get you a link to those.

desertbound

#3 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ May 30 2008, 05:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
send pics with details? I have heims in two sizes,... males, and great balljoints with spindle adapters. Houser has an assortment also, of various cups styles.
I can get you a link to those.

Dave,

I'll send some pics your way when I get the welding done tomorrow. I'm still not sure what size I'm gonna need. BTW, these aren't for a cannondale. I am building a 400ex geometry hybrid for my little brother. If the arms turn out ok I might try some for my glamis. Not sure though. I don't want to ruin the geometry of the cannondale. More than anything I need sizes for the heims. They are gonna be gullwinged, but have the +1 forward bend in them like the roll designs. I like thier heim/kingpin setup on the top arm and the fully sealed balljoint like the moto arms have in the bottom. The only thing I've found so far have been aluminum, and there's no way I'm running aluminum heims for a baja machine. My normal supplier doesn't have anything small enough. Only stuff they have is for long travel buggies and trophy truck applications. Way to big and heavy duty for the quads. I'll figure it out, and post some pics for everyone to critique.

This is the heim/balljoint setup I am gonna use.

[attachment=6375:CONTROL_ARMS.jpg]

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

It might be worth a try to check out Houser, part 132112 - Honda Press-in Lower
tel 877 646-3278....

For the heims, just get me the thread size and pitch, etc.

desertbound

#5 Post by desertbound »

Just an update in case anyone ever goes through making their own arms in this style.

The lower press in sperical ball joint it a houser part #132102

http://www.houser-racing.com/ProductDetail...0000-1122934662

The heims are a 3/4-16 style. I went with a teflon coated heim for longer life and Caniboomer hooked me up with the post for them.

Houser has been awesome to deal with. I told them I was not using their arms but actually building a custom set and they have still spent lots of time giving me suggestions and pointing me in the right direction. That is more than I can say about roll design. They think their products are gold plated. They wasnted $75 for a single post, and $50 for the sperical bearing. The houser bearing I found has the integrated post like I wanted and is on $50 for the entire thing.

I got the a arms on the 400ex last night and the work great. I have decided to make a set for my glamis. I am gonna have to move the shockmount a hair to compensate for the longer cannondale shocks but that is no problem at all. I'll get picks of the arms as soon as I get them back from powder in a couple days.

desertbound

#6 Post by desertbound »

Picked my a arms up today. I built these out of 4130 chromoly. They are a +2 +1 geometry. I modeled them off of a set of roll design, like I said before, but they turned out looking nothing like them. Total cost with hiems and balljoints(which were expensive) was about $350. Pretty good I'd say. Here are some pics. I'll get some more when I get them mounted sometime this week. Please don't laugh at the welds. They are not pretty, but I wanted to make sure I got good penetration and that they would be safe.

They are a gloss black on the bottom arms, and a Bengal Orange with a brilliant gold clear. The uppers have a gold glow to them in the sun.

[attachment=6681:aarms1.jpg]

[attachment=6682:aarms2.jpg]

[attachment=6683:aarms3.jpg]

I think they turned out pretty good. I will use moto tie rods with them. Let me know what you think. Next pics will be of my completed exhaust system.

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

Looks really good.What did you do about the cdale havening a different spindle taper then a Honda?

desertbound

#8 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jul 9 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks really good.What did you do about the cdale havening a different spindle taper then a Honda?

The uppers are a two piece teflon coated 3/4-16 heim. I was able to get a set of cannondale post from Boomer. For the lower arms I got the honda one piece sperical bearings w/post and got a set of stainless bushings to adapt the taper from honda to cannondale. The tapers were also from boomer, and the bearings for the lower arms were from houser. The spindle taper problem is why I decided to use the moto tierods. Also so I wouldn't have clearance issues with the frame. All the other tierods I came accross seemed a hollow and larger diameter version.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Jul 9 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The uppers are a two piece teflon coated 3/4-16 heim. I was able to get a set of cannondale post from Boomer. For the lower arms I got the honda one piece sperical bearings w/post and got a set of stainless bushings to adapt the taper from honda to cannondale. The tapers were also from boomer, and the bearings for the lower arms were from houser. The spindle taper problem is why I decided to use the moto tierods. Also so I wouldn't have clearance issues with the frame. All the other tierods I came accross seemed a hollow and larger diameter version.

Thanks

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Look great.Nice job.