Tie Rod Ends

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
UpsMan

#91 Post by UpsMan »

Happyboy does bring up a good point. I finished a couple races this year with my Polaris having some really weird front end allignment, but at least I finished the races because the tie rods bent, but nothing broke. I do want the weak link to be the rod, not the ends or the frame.

NRath

#92 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Oct 16 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[attachment=9180:Aluminum_Tie_Rod.jpg]

That's the same set-up I've been using for 2-3 years. I started with a set on my stock arms, then got a set for my second quad with +1's.

I'm all for the weak point ideas. I believe quads actually suffer from the super tough handlebars that are everywhere now. The stem is gonna' bend everytime. I've been thinking about running my 7/8 bars w/o the crossbar. I have bent one rod end with the aluminum rods and it was in a pretty nasty few flips. That also tweaked one of the ball joints.

2000ex

#93 Post by 2000ex »

As a fellow woods warrior only one bent rod from flipping works. They are certainly light, thick, and no need to coat for looks. Does anyone have a formula from aluminum to steel strength? There has to be something from OD x wall on aluminum vs steel.

My Houser rods are 5/8 and they are super strong but I have bent one and they are $45 shipped just for the rod. At under $10 it is certainly far cheaper going with the aluminum. I would need to taco 4 rods to break even with one bent Houser rod. Maybe I should intentionally kiss a few trees this weekend and see how they hold up?

NRath

#94 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Oct 16 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a fellow woods warrior only one bent rod from flipping works. They are certainly light, thick, and no need to coat for looks. Does anyone have a formula from aluminum to steel strength? There has to be something from OD x wall on aluminum vs steel.

My Houser rods are 5/8 and they are super strong but I have bent one and they are $45 shipped just for the rod. At under $10 it is certainly far cheaper going with the aluminum. I would need to taco 4 rods to break even with one bent Houser rod. Maybe I should intentionally kiss a few trees this weekend and see how they hold up?

It was the end that actually bent, not the rod- those jokers are stout. Materials wise, variables are wide, there. Important factor here is taht tThe hollow tube profile is stronger than a solid bar. The alloy of the steel is completely unknown. Generically, AL alloy is about 85,000 psi tensile, steel alloy is about 200,000 psi tensile. That doesn't take into account heat treating that a T-6 AL would have. (I didn't know that off the top of my head, had to pull out the strength of materials book from about 10 years ago.)

And like you said, after a year or so and they dull up, take a piece of scotchbrite pad to them and in about 2 minutes, they're shiny as new!

peterock

#95 Post by peterock »

I guess I don't get where it was said these were the strongest tie rods on the planet and they would never bend?????

So it's bad to have a warranty now days????

This post was about finding a good replacement for our tie rods with ball joints. You have an option now.

UpsMan

#96 Post by UpsMan »

Pete, do you want me to test those?

peterock

#97 Post by peterock »

They are the extended ones for long travel a-arms. Did you switch your set-up???

UpsMan

#98 Post by UpsMan »

No, not yet.

cannondale27

#99 Post by cannondale27 »

I know from experience that the weak part is actually the bridge that the steering stem bearing is bolted to.It usually bends first.Actuall would take a very weak tierod to avoid tweaking that bridge.

UpsMan

#100 Post by UpsMan »

I'm trying to visualize how that bridge would bend before a tie rod or tie rod end. I don't understand that, and have never heard that one. I've broke an end, but never even thought about that part bending. Are you sure you didn't mess that up by flipping it or something more severe? I'm not saying your wrong, I just can't see this as likely.