Tie Rod Ends

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
2000ex

#61 Post by 2000ex »

I think it could go either way honestly.

Why do any balljoints or CV joints even have boots? To protect them from contamination.

If they are properly sealed with a wire tie they will certainly keep out more contaminants than letting them in. It is if they are left hanging there just slipped on with no seal on them and sand and mud get in there ...I agree they will wear out faster. No different than running a sealed automotive style end that has a tear in the boot...surely it will wear much faster than one with no tears.

These are wear items and need to be replaced, all I really want is to increase that interval.

cannondale27

#62 Post by cannondale27 »

Problem with Hiems all of them is they are inconsistent as far as loose or tight even when brand new and even the fancy stainless ones from Rod End supply.Trust me I have them.It is very noticable.A regular joint like all other makes have is best in that aspect.

NRath

#63 Post by NRath »

I dealt with most of the mentioned issues as well.

First- Stoess' boots are hard to find, but he told me where he got 'em. And I don't remember! wacko.gif It was an A-Arm company, not Walsh, American Star, Gibson, Houser... I'm thinking it started with an A, but it wasn't American Star, so maybe Lonestar (where'd the A come from??).

Second, I could see them not helping if they weren't sealed, so I used a ziptie around them on the jamnut. The other end is pretty tight on the stud.

--Dry with boots? Why leave 'em dry? A lubricated joint lasts much longer than non-lubricated, so I filled them with grease! AHH, now you're talking!!

--Dang it! Incompatible materials between grease and liner for the rod-end, got tight!

Coincidentally, Rod End Supply swapped materials for these ends, so they sent me a new set, free of charge! But said don't grease 'em. I didn't listen very well. One side has grease, the other side doesn't. The greased side is definitely a little slicker than the dry booted side, but both are still working well. Unfortunately, I can't say I've got a million hours on the set-up, yet. About 20 hrs (and those are timed hours) of abuse. But, still tight as a tick and super slick. And, lighter than the stock set-up.

2000ex

#64 Post by 2000ex »

QUOTE (NRath @ Oct 7 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First- Stoess' boots are hard to find, but he told me where he got 'em. And I don't remember! wacko.gif It was an A-Arm company, not Walsh, American Star, Gibson, Houser... I'm thinking it started with an A, but it wasn't American Star, so maybe Lonestar (where'd the A come from??).

Second, I could see them not helping if they weren't sealed, so I used a ziptie around them on the jamnut. The other end is pretty tight on the stud.

--Dry with boots? Why leave 'em dry? A lubricated joint lasts much longer than non-lubricated, so I filled them with grease! AHH, now you're talking!!

Coincidentally, Rod End Supply swapped materials for these ends, so they sent me a new set, free of charge! But said don't grease 'em. I didn't listen very well. One side has grease, the other side doesn't. The greased side is definitely a little slicker than the dry booted side, but both are still working well. Unfortunately, I can't say I've got a million hours on the set-up, yet. About 20 hrs (and those are timed hours) of abuse. But, still tight as a tick and super slick. And, lighter than the stock set-up.

If they are teflon lined heims they dont need grease, as they told you. That actually will cause them to wear faster.

I disagree with Steve that all Heims are not worthwhile. Why would a company like Walsh Racecraft who hangs their hat on durability continue to use the same high quality teflon lined heims for all these years? That just does not make sense. I have used them for several seasons and they have ZERO slop in them. Rider tested and rider abused experience tells me otherwise.

I have some teflon lined female heims that were inexpensive and they lasted a ride or two before they were noticeably sloppy. I guess I will just need to buy a few sets and beat on them myself and see how they hold up!

cannondale27

#65 Post by cannondale27 »

They will hold up quite long but some are overly tight and affect steering effort or sloppy even when new.Why does Walsh use them?Because they are light,adjustable and work okay.Jansen has the best no compromise joint.But you pay.At frame nothing beats needlebearings or a good bushing but then you lose adjustability which means no adjusting for frame and arm irregularities.

2000ex

#66 Post by 2000ex »

If they are overly tight that would be a bonus! You would not need to crank down on the steering damper smile.gifsmile.gif

NRath

#67 Post by NRath »

I don't see that anyone could legitimately claim grease/oil will decrease the life of mating components provided there aren't compatibilty issues. Not possible. And, encasing the joint in a grease is better than mud, which is the only other alternative. Manufacturing defects abound, if there's penetration into the joint, grease or mud?

Teflon lined? I don't think they were. Would you believe I don't remember what he said the new material was? But I'm pretty sure it wasn't teflon. I jsut remember he said they were the best heims they carried. Of course, so was the first set that got tight on me.

To Steve's point, yeah, those sealed joints from the Japs have seen years of use and are still tight. I don't think the years of use they've all seen are quite the same as the abuse I'm (we're) putting on the quads now, but over the years, that's alot of turning to not wear out.

NRath

#68 Post by NRath »

When mine got tight, funny part was that only 2 of the 4 got tight. They sent me 4 replacements of a different style, they were crap and only lasted a couple rides, then the next set with the new material has held up well. I think the 1st ones were the kevlar lined ones.

jesshamner

#69 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (NRath @ Oct 7 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Might they have been Arens?

peterock

#70 Post by peterock »

I have a set on the way. Two rods and 4 ball joints. Once I have them, will verify fittment and add a picture. These will be female ends.