Tie Rod Ends

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Canniboomer

#101 Post by Canniboomer »

...just some pics for now:

NRath

#102 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Oct 18 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying to visualize how that bridge would bend before a tie rod or tie rod end. I don't understand that, and have never heard that one. I've broke an end, but never even thought about that part bending. Are you sure you didn't mess that up by flipping it or something more severe? I'm not saying your wrong, I just can't see this as likely.

I've heard of it bending, too. The early ones more so. The second gen had 2 small gussets added to it that appear to help quite a bit. The early ones were jsut a hat shape, not very strong, really. The gussets make a world of difference.

NRath

#103 Post by NRath »

That's a nice looking set-up, Boomer. It's not as bling as the aluminum, but the ends should be very durable. What do you expect the price to be? I'm sure you've already checked to see they have adequate articulation.

Canniboomer

#104 Post by Canniboomer »

The Rod OD is 5/8", as compared to stock at 1/2"....for only 1/16" of more potential interference.
For the stock width and Plus 1 A-arms?, the frame clearance is no problem. But I only have the standard width and Plus 1's to offer at this time. The complete set price is $88 for Standard Width and $92 for Plus 1. The balljoint sets alone will be less than $60.

I'll also follow up with 2000ex, to check if those aluminum rods are available for the Moto and aftermarket Plus 3's.

2000ex

#105 Post by 2000ex »

Yes they are available for those lengths, I got them for +3 and +1. They have every size down to .25 inches.

Honestly I think the aluminum rods are the ticket with those sealed ends for zero maintenance coating (like our frames), are beefy and are inexpensive. I have not installed the +3 rods to check for travel interferance, but based upon their size I dont forsee any issues. I will install and check regardless.

Canniboomer

#106 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep those aluminum rods look nice.
We would just need to confirm the clearance of various lengths up to plus 3, and then have them tapped instead to an M12 fine pitch.

4strokemadman

#107 Post by 4strokemadman »

Since I am on and off the board I just caught this thread. Here is the history on the Tie Rod ends.

FX400 Tie Rod ends were recalled for two reasons, the threaded portion was not strong enough and when torqued they would stretch and the nuts would keep coming loose. Eventually they would fatigue and fail. The second reason was that they did not have enough articulation. In some cases the tie-rod end would hit the housing and they would snap. The construction of these rod ends from THK was a threaded shaft friction welded onto the ball. They were terribly weak on the shaft and at the intersection of the shaft and the ball. We were in development with alinaball on a new tie rod end in which the ball and shaft were machined out of 4130, and had more articulation, and a nice boot. There is a possibilty that you could talk to them, I have the articulation specs somewhere. We also tried aluminum tie rods. 6061-T6 aluminum has a yield strength of 40,000 psi the did not work at all. We tried 7075-T6 which has a yield strength of 67,000 psi they worked better but did end up fatiguing. The best material hands down is 1144M Fatigue Proof steel. This has a great failure mode of bending and saving suspension and frame components but it is strong enough to take abuse. We tested tie rods made from this material and they were hands down the best from a general purpose standpoint. If you want ultimate strength, stick with the 17-4 stainless stock rods.

I would say this, make sure the tie rod ends have enough articulation, and that the tie-rod material has at lease a 125,000 psi yield strength.

Canniboomer

#108 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (NRath @ Oct 19 2009, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a nice looking set-up, Boomer. It's not as bling as the aluminum, but the ends should be very durable. What do you expect the price to be? I'm sure you've already checked to see they have adequate articulation.

cannondale27 has been using these since October of 2009. I've also installed several sets out west here, but I've heard no feedback yet, and our own machines don't get ridden enough for a long term comment yet.....it's so far so good maybe, but let's defer to Steve C27 for a real-world opinion by now....

cannondale27

#109 Post by cannondale27 »

I like them alot.Never had a problem with them and they are still like new as far as tightness.These were on standard travel front end.Will be putting the same ones on longtravel setup and let you know how they work on it.Great solution!