Tie Rod Ends

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
UpsMan

#1 Post by UpsMan »

Has anyone use honda style tie rod ends on their cannondale? The reason I ask is, it seems everytime I look at mine they have slop in them, and my wife's Honda has 3 seasons on it now and they are still tight. I know the threads on the tie rods themselves are different, but if this works I'd just get some honda tie rods made what ever length I needed. I would just take one off the wife's honda and check myself, but I'm already in enough trouble.

2000ex

#2 Post by 2000ex »

Check out rodendsuppply.com and find the correct thread. Perhaps Canniboomer or someone could enlighten us on what the correct diameter and pitch is as I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Get the ones that are chromoly and teflon lined, they will last much longer.

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

That's just it though, I don't want a heim style end. I want a automotive type like honda uses. http://www.amstarmanufacturing.com/images/...ar_Tie_Rods.jpg

desertbound

#4 Post by desertbound »

This is something I would like to know as well. I do not trust the heim rod ends.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

...member SlOot has been using them, and I had also picked up some Moog's to give a try here,... and just never got around to it. The female ends are the same 1/2-20 pitch as our tie rods, but I recall they were avail in RH only, and the stud posts were designed for tapered holes.

But, the ASR's as pictured have a flattened shank to better fit our steering plate and caliper holes. Maybe 1/2-20 females are available from ASR in LH and RH, and with the same 10mm posts. In fact, the female ends as UpsMan pictured,... just might be a direct replacement for our machines. Then, it could just be a matter of confirming if they will clear the tight fit at the stem, and that the tierods will not rub on the frame. Our stock tie-rods are skinnier than the hollow-tube ASR rods, and probably much stronger. I would say it's very worthwhile to give all of that another look now.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I will take a set if you figure it out. Heims don't fall apart but even new they are so inconsistent as far as play. Some are actually too tight and some sloppy after a hour. Anyone know of the original tie rods and ends? They recalled them because a guy hit a tree and claimed the rod failed. Those were similar to Honda style. Our current tierods and ends would be suitable on a truck. Overkill!

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

I have a set of 400ex rods. it's been a long time but if I remember right were the ball pivoted compared to were the hime pivoted where way different do it would affect getromy quite a bit.

UpsMan

#8 Post by UpsMan »

Today I got around to checking if these will fit. Just looking at them, the distance between the center of the pivot and where it rests on the plate is lots different. More than 1/4 inch. Also, in order to put them into the stem plate, I'd have to drill it out a bit, and I'm not doing that unless I know it would work. You can't go back once you drill it out. I have a feeling the tie rods would hit the frame using this set up....I'm sick of heims man, they really suck ***.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Those teflon lined ones are sweet . If you put the rubber boot on them they should last for many years . Actually I have a set of the el cheapo $5 ones with boots packed with grease . They never did come loose and they are several years old. I would stay away from Honda tie rod ends . They are much smaller and weaker than stock dale ones. Maybe something off a big quad like a 4x4 or a DS650.

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

I think you need to look again. There really isn't a size difference. In fact, the post that goes throught the stem plate on the Honda is a little bigger. And weaker? Maybe, but ours have lasted three years and they aren't loose yet, three of them felt real good yet, and one was pretty hard to move, maybe the boot failed and some corrosion had started. I have broken 1 tie rod end on a dale, and none on a honda. I don't really know what else I can say. Where are you getting boots for your hiems? And I AM using the teflon lined ones, and they were loose almost immediately after installation. Maybe I'm just stupid and am doing something wrong, but this has puzzled me ever since I got this quad and they were loose when it was brand new.