Convert std travel a-arms to LT a-arms

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdalerider75

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

Just wondering if anyone has converted a-arms from std travel mounts to LT??? You must be able to do it...

67z400

#2 Post by 67z400 »

QUOTE (cdalerider75 @ Jun 3 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering if anyone has converted a-arms from std travel mounts to LT??? You must be able to do it...

I thought about doing something like that. I have a extra set of a-arms at my house. I'm gonna try cutting my a-arms, extending them 2" or so. and then welding them back together. I will add gussets, reinforcements, and treat the metal for higher strengthening. I think it is possible.

67z400

#3 Post by 67z400 »

QUOTE (cdalerider75 @ Jun 3 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought about doing something like that. I have a extra set of a-arms at my house. I'm gonna try cutting my a-arms, extending them 2" or so. and then welding them back together. I will add gussets, reinforcements, and treat the metal for higher strengthening. I think it is possible.

cdalerider75

#4 Post by cdalerider75 »

Are these stock a-arms?

desertbound

#5 Post by desertbound »

Widening the arms does not make them long travel. The shock mount is what makes them longtravel. I guess in theory you could lengthen the arm to move the shockmount but the leverage rations might not be right. May as well try it. I'm working on a couple sets right now. Pretty time consuming.

cdalerider75

#6 Post by cdalerider75 »

Well my thought on this is... there are many sets of STD travel A-arms out there (including the set I have for sale.... ding). Just surprised that someone isn't offering a service to convert STD travel A-arms to LT; after all it is just the location of the shock mount right??

Just have to compare STD to LT for Houser, LSR, ASR

Once a jig has been created it should be a no brainier to repeat the process

desertbound

#7 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (cdalerider75 @ Jun 3 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well my thought on this is... there are many sets of STD travel A-arms out there (including the set I have for sale.... ding). Just surprised that someone isn't offering a service to convert STD travel A-arms to LT; after all it is just the location of the shock mount right??

Just have to compare STD to LT for Houser, LSR, ASR

Once a jig has been created it should be a no brainier to repeat the process

In theory it's just the shock mount location, but the way that effect the stroke of the shock and leverage can be off. That is why some arms are designed the way they are. Gullwing, encased shockmount. The Texiera tech a arms are a good example. They have a sunken, enclosed shockmount. That allows them to run a longtravel shock but keep the shocks in a more upright position for a better leverage ratio.

I am no expert but this is how I was taught. I have a few sets of a arms, and it has definately been a eye opening experiance. I have learned that the looks of the a arms isn't entirely cosmetic. Wait till you see these ones I'm building now. I have come up with a cool way to achieve the +1 forward.

desertbound

#8 Post by desertbound »

I guess the best thing to compare it to is getting a set of +3 std travel a arms and running stock shocks. It will work, but you may not get the full potential out of the suspension setup.

haydug

#9 Post by haydug »

You need to take into consideration the balljoint travel as well. A long shock, and a long travel arms is entirely different.

2mike18

#10 Post by 2mike18 »

another thing to consider is the travel when the shock achieves full length is there still room for the ball joint to pivot or has it hit the limitation of travel and stopped the shocks full extention?? that would cause ball joint to fail quickly. had that problem using 19in shocks on arms made for 18.5 shocks only a half inch but was enough to bottom the joint out before the shocks made full travel.