Frustrating!!!

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
desertbound

#1 Post by desertbound »

I have now gotten my third set of g-force hubs, and none of them have fit. First a set of 400ex hubs, the splines were not lined up properly. Now I'm on my second set of 450R hubs and they won't go on. I have a stock speed axle. I'm getting frustrated now. Any reason why 450R hubs won't work on my dale, but they slide right on everyone elses?

2mike18

#2 Post by 2mike18 »

is the spline count the same between the honda g-force hub and a cannondale hub? I thuoght I heard that C27 put some dale hubs on a yamaha if that worked then one would think that if you got a yamaha hub with the honda bolt pattern it would work for you.

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

ooops

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

Have you tried a little persuasion? (Hammer)? My dale hubs slide right on the lonestar axle on my wifes honda 450r as if they were made for it. Maybe when they are brand new, like your g-force hubs are, they aren't quite perfectly matched and need some force? I remember once when installing a lonestar axle on a 450r, I had to beat the piss out of the stock hubs to get them back on. I figured something wasn't quite right, but, when you get that far, there is no turning back. The sledge got the job done.

desertbound

#5 Post by desertbound »

I used a deadblow hammer and a 2x4. I couldn't get them to go. The hubs have a steel splined insert section where the meat of the axle sits. The splines that are in the actual billet slide right on. It's the steel portion that won't. I even flipped the hubs around and tried getting just the steel splines to go on and they won't. Maybe the insert is wrong? It looks the same.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes its a tight fit for Honda on Cannondale.I would try YFZ,Raptor hubs since Cannondale hub is real tight on thier axle it should mean the Yamaha hubs will be looser if anything on a Dale axle.

desertbound

#7 Post by desertbound »

Ughhhh! Everyone I have asked has said the 400ex hubs are a tight fit, but the 450r hubs slide right on. I'm going with these hubs because they are extended. They don't make a honda pattern/yammi spline combo. I can't afford an axle right now, and this was gonna be a temporary fix for that. Oh well. Maybe a little work with a hand file will help.

cdsracer

#8 Post by cdsracer »

The 400ex g-force hubs will slide right on a Lonestar axle. They fit EXTREMELY tight on a stock Cannondale or Durablue axle. If you put the hubs in the freezer while you file each side of every spline on your stock axle, you will be able to hammer them on. Freezing the axle helps too, if you can get your quad in your freezer.

Using a dremel with a reinforced cut off wheel makes the spline filing go much faster.

Yammi hubs will fit, but as you said, you will have a lug pattern issue.

desertbound

#9 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (cdsracer @ Jun 12 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 400ex g-force hubs will slide right on a Lonestar axle. They fit EXTREMELY tight on a stock Cannondale or Durablue axle. If you put the hubs in the freezer while you file each side of every spline on your stock axle, you will be able to hammer them on. Freezing the axle helps too, if you can get your quad in your freezer.

Using a dremel with a reinforced cut off wheel makes the spline filing go much faster.

Yammi hubs will fit, but as you said, you will have a lug pattern issue.

I thought freezing shrunk thigs? I always freeze bearings,(especially crank bearings) and then heat up the cases to install them. Wouldn't heat expand the metal? I'll try the freezer trick. Thanks.

desertbound

#10 Post by desertbound »

I meant, should I heat the axle.