Wheel offset question.

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Dachshund

#1 Post by Dachshund »

Any body run 4+1 front rims on their stock Moto suspension? Just wondering if there are any clearance issues?

I have the SAND TIRES UNLIMITED Razor Back front tires and they recommend a 7" wide wheel. I'm looking to get 4+3(10x7) or possibly even 4+2((10X6)would stay at 50")

Thanks.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

In the sand the width of the quad shouldn't be a problem. Since the stockers are 3/2 spacing, I would imagine you would be safe with a 3/4 or 3/3 spacing. I run 4/1 fronts with a Moto front end on my brother's quad. So that should mean you can run 4/3 as well.

Dachshund

#3 Post by Dachshund »

Thanks Ken, just what I needed. I'm not concerned with being too wide just want to keep the center of the tire as close to the ball joint center line as I can. I'd run 5x2 if they made em and they wouldn't hit haha.

Ken, I happen to be in your neck of the woods right now. Miami.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Cool, give me a call if you want to meet up. I'm over in the city of Medley at work and live in the south end of the County near Homestead.
305 989-5681

desertbound

#5 Post by desertbound »

With the stock 03 arms 4-1 offset cannot be ran. Moto arms should be fine. And the STU's are 7" wide(most front sand tires are) but a thinner front rim is normally used. a 5" wide rim is pretty much the norm. It's actually nice because it creates a balloon effect on the tires and the footprint is increased. That of course leads to better turning and stability.

I run a 2-3 offset rim and my front end is 52" wide.

Dachshund

#6 Post by Dachshund »

I suppose I could mount one on a 5" rim and see if I like it. Thanks for your thoughts. I've never had front sand tires so i assumed the Razor Backs were wider than others. I only got them because I've read they have a really smooth ride and also because i'm running the Padla Brats.

desertbound

#7 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Aug 29 2008, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose I could mount one on a 5" rim and see if I like it. Thanks for your thoughts. I've never had front sand tires so i assumed the Razor Backs were wider than others. I only got them because I've read they have a really smooth ride and also because i'm running the Padla Brats.

This is what they will look like. they are wider, but are still made to be ran on a standard rim. They are meant to be ballooned a little but. Even more than a mohawk like I run.

[attachment=6996:bugs.jpg]

And how mohawks look.

[attachment=6997:glamis2.jpg]

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Aug 29 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Padla Brats are the lightest rear sand tire you can get I have a friend with a set. I run Haulers and just got Sand Hawks for the front. The Sand Hawks are on .160 rims and where 1.4 lbs lighter then the stock cdale fronts.

desertbound

#9 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Aug 29 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Padla Brats are the lightest rear sand tire you can get I have a friend with a set. I run Haulers and just got Sand Hawks for the front. The Sand Hawks are on .160 rims and where 1.4 lbs lighter then the stock cdale fronts.

Glad you went with the sand hawks. I like them a lot, and they are great for the price. I had Sand Skate I's before the haulers on my yfz and they are light like the padla brats. I love the brats but I don't race the hill much so I couldn't justify the extra money. Especially when I got all 4 of my tires for less than just the brats. Plus, when they are somp cut, they leak a lot. Not that big of a deal, but I hate adding air every morning when I'm nursing a hangover in the sand. Ha hah a

Claas, we should get together for a ride this season. We have a huge camp and I could show you around glamis. I have a buddy who lives in stockton who comes down for the major holidays. It would be nice to for him to have someone else to caravan with.

And that goes for anyone. Open invitation. If you wanna see glamis, gordons well or buttercup, I'll play host.

Dachshund

#10 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Aug 29 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Padla Brats are the lightest rear sand tire you can get

Yep, I have 6 paddle "comp cut" rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif