Welding Frame - prep?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
svahle

#1 Post by svahle »

The lower left sub-frame mounting tab has broken off my frame. I'm having it repaired (welded). Other than removing the ecu, is there anything else I need to do before it is welded? Remove the battery maybe? Thanks.

Shannon

SlOoT

#2 Post by SlOoT »

Drain the oil out of the frame.

svahle

#3 Post by svahle »

QUOTE (SlOoT @ Sep 11 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drain the oil out of the frame.

Good point. Will do!

Anyone else have suggestions?

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

So just drain the oil or should we flush it? I have a broken rear master cylinder tab that I need to have fixed at some point.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

No need for oil draining since there is no oil anywhere near that.

svahle

#6 Post by svahle »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 11 2008, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No need for oil draining since there is no oil anywhere near that.

Are you responding to me or jess?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Jess.Lower left subframe mount there is oil fairly close.

svahle

#8 Post by svahle »

c27 - Thanks man. That's what I was thinking, but I'd rather feel silly and ask than to not ask. Gotta get the Moto ready for the next dune trip in October. Just trying to side step any avoidable setbacks.

Shannon

NRath

#9 Post by NRath »

IMO...
I'd leave the oil in it to act as a heat sink. Also take some wet towels to wrap around the frame a little bit away from the tab to minimize the heat transfer through the frame. As most know, the frames are heat treated and welding will definitely diminish the treating. I'd say you should go ahead and cut out a piece of gusset from some 1/4" aluminum to weld on the tab and frame, too. I fixed one and did a fair amount of build up a few years ago. It eventually broke through again- I couldn't believe it. V groove the tab and frame so you're getting penetration all the way to the middle of the tab (a good welder would probably do that for you). Then, change the oil.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

That's sounds reasonable, but I think I would also remove the dipstick for good measure... or would that make it more easily combustible?,...nah, I'd probably remove the dipstick . What do you guys think?