Swing arm design???

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows why Cannondale chose not to go with a fived shock mount rather than the progressive style like almost all the other manufacturers use? are there any big disadvantages to progressive rate swing arms? Seems like a smashing idea to me ! {sorry been watching too much Top Gear on BBC America lately}

God bless...

Mark

wayneschofield

#2 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Jan 4 2009, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows why Cannondale chose not to go with a fived shock mount rather than the progressive style like almost all the other manufacturers use? are there any big disadvantages to progressive rate swing arms? Seems like a smashing idea to me ! {sorry been watching too much Top Gear on BBC America lately}

God bless...

Mark

Because the intake is at the front, Cannondale were able to lay the rear shock forwards which gives the rear arm a progressively increasing rate anyway, as the damper axis moves away from the swing arm pivot as it risies, increasing the effective displacement of the shock.

With a carb in the way, the damper would have to sit more upright and thus needs a linkage arrangement to make it progressive. I prefer our simpler system with fewer pivots to wear and less lost motion. Our dampers have a PSD valve in them too so that they stiffen up towards full compression.

Top gear is always worth a watch isn't it? One of my customers is one of 'The Stig' (there are five 'regular' Stigs in recent series). The first 'Dressed in Black' stig was Perry McCarthy, he wasn't busy with any actual racing at the time but all of the current Stigs have other commitments so they share the driving.

Rumour has it that Jenson Button was only on the show as a 'celebrity' because the celeb who was supposed to be on the show didn't show up. Since Jenson was there on Stig duties he stood in as 'the celeb'.

Hope I haven't spoiled it for you now!

m_mcgranahan

#3 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the info on the swing arm design! That's cool. I still want to make a chromoly one with new bearings that hold up better to MX!

(Thks for the info on "the Stig" thats interesting stuff. I do think they must have had some warning on the J. button thing, cause they had his F1 car in the studio for that show, and I doubt he just drove it down as his ride for the day. ;-) I was dissappointed that the boys dissed quads on an episode about off road vehicles! { On a slightly related subject to j. button, I'm still miffed that N America got totally rebuffed by F1 this year! What is that? }

God bless...

Mark