Ice Racing Setup

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
2000ex

#1 Post by 2000ex »

I know quite of a few of the guys here are proficient in ice racing. I went to my first one today to check it out and I will be heading back next sunday to race.

I think my mx race bike will more than hold its own out there with the power. Any tips for bike setup? I have 18 in turf tamers with studs on the rear and studded holeshots on the front. Planning on running with about 4 in ride height. I do not yet have a sway bar, but I am trying to pick one up or make one this week.

Any other tips?

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I found a web site for the trrack near me. checked over the rules and e-mailed a few questions to them. Found out the classes and that the washers I put under the KoldKutters wouldn't be allowed.

speedracer

#3 Post by speedracer »

I went to an ice race(indoor) last year,it just looked as if they were set-up like TT quads.Looked like a blast!

2mike18

#4 Post by 2mike18 »

racing on ice is like riding asphalt the traction is unbelievible if you are correctly studded. in all the ice races ive been in and to the hole shot is key because they usually dont make it wide enough to safely pass.

UpsMan

#5 Post by UpsMan »

I went and watched my first ice race today. It was pretty exciting. I don't have any advice, but it really looked fun.

ACEwrench

#6 Post by ACEwrench »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Feb 1 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went and watched my first ice race today. It was pretty exciting. I don't have any advice, but it really looked fun.

I dont think not having a sway bar would be that big of an issue...i have never done it, but if you set up your quad right you shouldnt really need it.... I would lift the front a little higher than the back so you dont push this will also allow you to steer with the trottle rather than just your front tires.

2mike18

#7 Post by 2mike18 »

with all the traction you get when studded up there is not much chance of drifting the corners, you can race without the sway bar I have but no matter how you set the machine up it still tends to dive (lean) to the outside while cornering with out the sway bar. my tires studded up have 504 studs per rear they have a 28 scratch pattern (thats how many lines it cuts in the ice more lines is better) and 358 studs per front. I have stood the quad straight up on the hole shot 2 times. I have not ice raced in about 3 years but that was my experience. cdale55 has more experience on the ice than I and if anyone plans on ice racing p.m. him he is a great guy that will give you all the info you want.

cdale55

#8 Post by cdale55 »

Are you going to race on a oval or is it TT style ? You set up different for each one. TT you run your sway bar neutral if you are running oval you set them up like a stock car . Gearing is very important bring extra sprockets. your rear shock is huge (rebound) how you have it adjusted it means everything on the holeshot and in the corners. Just my 2cents ! iceracer17 on here is the oval guy !!! I race the TT style.

2000ex

#9 Post by 2000ex »

It is oval style, 1/4 mile oval. I put on the stock std travel ohlins on my Walsh LT front and and picked up a sweet Rath Swaybar and it is sitting at about 4 inches off the ground smile.gif

I agree on the gearing, that is critical. My only problem at this point is the ice is melting sad.gif Hopefully I get a chance to test it before spring comes, but now I at least have a setup for Flat track this summer. I am running 15/38 gearing on my 467 with 18's and for MX it is perfect.