Speed Ohlin Shock Adjustment

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
67z400

#1 Post by 67z400 »

I need a little help here. There are two collars on top of the stock ohlins that need to be turned in order to adjust the shock. I do not have a spanner wrench. What do I do to move the top collar? I have tried jacking the bike up and then turning the collars by hand, but both collars spin. Does anyone have any secret tips to do this or do I need to find two spanner wrenches? Thanks!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Screwdriver and a hammer.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

I think he is talking about the fronts... in that case take the weight off the front end with a jackstand or something and what you do it turn one and hold the other and this makes a change in the preload, they kind of cam away from themselves and will show a gap as preload increases.
I can usually do this by hand but some penetrating oil and some big channel locks may free them up if they have debris inside.
If you need more preload than you are getting then I think there is some kind of ring there that you can move down on the grooves. You should only be needing more preload if you are bottoming out the front suspension, otherwise you are just making the ride harsher.

67z400

#4 Post by 67z400 »

Yes, this is for the fronts. I have tried using a flat head and a hammer, but when I do this both collars move. What I need to do is get a extra set of hands on this. I'll have someone hold the bottom collar with a set of channel locks and then I will hit the top collar.

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

I believe that it is the bottom one that moves and the top one stays.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Front moto or blaze those rings dont set preload they change the gap of the upper spring.Basicly if you have too much gap the quad will roll too much in turns.Too little and it will ride to stiff.I like running about 1/2in gap with wieght of quad on them.Preload would be the snapring under the keeper at top.

67z400

#7 Post by 67z400 »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Mar 22 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that it is the bottom one that moves and the top one stays.

I do not know if that will work in my case. The two collars are both screwed down as far as they will go. They look to be set at the "softest" setting. Do I need someone hold the top collar while I hit the bottom collar? I can post pics if that helps.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

i found it very easy to adjust these with the shock off the quad. You can do it while on the quad just be sure to jack up the front end first to releave pressure from the shock. You will have to pull down on the bottom one then turn the top one. If you can take the shock off then what i would do it turn the shock upside down, remove the bottom retainer which will let the spring drop, then adjust the top rings, and put the spring and retainer back on.