Came loose...

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

SO after riding at Motoland in Casa Grande, AZ, I found that I had excessive play in my steering. Grrrr...I was afraid it was a bad bearing on the bottom of the steering tube had gone bad. I found that the 3 bolts that hold it in were loose and had almost 1/2" up and down play in it!!!

Anyhow, Just thought I would remind all of you to check those bolts before something bad happens.

God bless...

Mark

Brad77

#2 Post by Brad77 »

Good tip, I had this happen recently also. Although my stem bearing holder only has two bolts that hold it in place. One on each side of the stem bearing.

dalewannbe

#3 Post by dalewannbe »

My bolts havecome before too, but I bounced off several trees even broke my steering stabilizer....so I figured that had something to do with the bolts coming loose.

speedracer

#4 Post by speedracer »

Can the stem bearing still be ordered?I dont need one now,maybe someday.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

sure it can. Its nothing special and can be picked up at a bearing show for a few bucks more i think.

m_mcgranahan

#6 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

Yeah, I was really blessed cause I was working on clearing 35ft doubles right before I quit for the day, so if it came totlly off, I could have been in the hospital today! Thank God I quit when I did.

Hope you all have a great day.

God bless...

Mark

TG2891

#7 Post by TG2891 »

I just had the same problem. The bolts were loose and I never checked if that was the issues. I just bought a new bearing and 2 piece holder. Another $25 wasted because I assumed that was the problem.
Anyway got mine from Dave (Cannonmoto), got it in 2 days and never had to leave the house.
BTW, thanks Dave

peterock

#8 Post by peterock »

I have one or two of those bearings in stock if needed.

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

I think this is more evidence that the 2 stock bearing-plate bolts are just too weak. While replacing a bent stem a while back, the bottom plates were a bit hammered out, but the 2 bolts had already stretched and started bending and loosening. I noticed that the castle nut pockets on the plates are sized to fit full 1/4" carriage bolts, but Cannondale used slightly smaller 6mms. But even with 1/4" carriage bolts that are easily available, they are really too soft for that application.

Instead, you might consider using Grade 8 Hex bolts. Here are pictures of Grade 8 fine-threaded 1/4" bolts and nylocks (avail locally), and with camlocks added for wider plate support and secure locking. You will find it's really easy to bolt from the bottom-up instead.

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Mar 30 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this is more evidence that the 2 stock bearing-plate bolts are just too weak. While replacing a bent stem a while back, the bottom plates were a bit hammered out, but the 2 bolts had already stretched and started bending and loosening. I noticed that the castle nut pockets on the plates are sized to fit full 1/4" carriage bolts, but Cannondale used slightly smaller 6mms. But even with 1/4" carriage bolts that are easily available, they are really too soft for that application.

Instead, you might consider using Grade 8 Hex bolts. Here are pictures of Grade 8 fine-threaded 1/4" bolts and nylocks (avail locally), and with camlocks added for wider plate support and secure locking. You will find it's really easy to bolt from the bottom-up instead.

Look again but I think the bolts will hit the steering plate? I think you have to use a carriage bolt?