stiff front suspension

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
kevin444

#1 Post by kevin444 »

hello all,

i've been a daler "quad" for a few months now and after purchasing a basically trashed motor and and rebuilding it twice, i've finally got a solid running machine "$$$$$". i'd like to thank "boomer AKA Dave" for tons of help and making this build possible, along with everyone else who has read my posts or has posted in the past.

i have already talked to dave about this, and have gone through the check list such as sticking front arms and any adjustments that can be made. i have the non-rezzi ohlins up front with the yellow springs. my problem is this quad is just plain out way to stiff, espically for the desert "las vegas". we've got a banshee and an 660 raptor and after riding mine for 30 seconds they both ride like an cadilac compared to the dale!

if i rode dirt tracks i'm sure this would kick ***, but not for what i'm usually riding.......

what our my options? switch out the springs or shocks? anyone want to trade....ill even take lower grade suspension if it rides smoother.....

i'll be looking for all the help i can get......

thanks,

Kevin

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

There are 3 spring rates available.That helps along with refresh and revalve.Best is to add a set of rezzies but that gets expensive.

kevin444

#3 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Apr 8 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are 3 spring rates available.That helps along with refresh and revalve.Best is to add a set of rezzies but that gets expensive.

what spring should i go with, and from who? the shocks seem to be fine "refresh / revalve", the springs are just to tight.....

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

How much do you weigh? I think one of the softest springs you could put on there is a set from a pair of arvins and I got a set laying around that you can have for twenty bucks shipped or you could just try them and if they work I would trade straight across for your springs.
I also have a pair of tripple rate works steelers that 27 resealed, replaced a broken spring on and serviced. They are just too soft for my weight and extended arms. I would possibly swap you straight across for your ohlins. You would just need to make some spacers or use washers up top cause these were on a 250r.
Ray

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

I rode my old speed for years with stock shocks,bought some Blaze shocks,my arms were very happy,night and day difference!

kevin444

#6 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Apr 8 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much do you weigh? I think one of the softest springs you could put on there is a set from a pair of arvins and I got a set laying around that you can have for twenty bucks shipped or you could just try them and if they work I would trade straight across for your springs.
I also have a pair of tripple rate works steelers that 27 resealed, replaced a broken spring on and serviced. They are just too soft for my weight and extended arms. I would possibly swap you straight across for your ohlins. You would just need to make some spacers or use washers up top cause these were on a 250r.
Ray

i'm about 190lbs now and trying to drop some more "haha". the one that you have are the blue or white ones? i would really like to try these out and see if they soften things up. we can go either way, what works best you? let me know which you prefer.....

thanks,

kevin

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I think I read that all the springs are rated for a 185lbs rider so you're good there. I ride the glamis ohlins here in the woods and they work great. If you're getting beat to death I think you need to be looking at valving as well as the spring. Getting a softer spring rate will mostly drop ride height. It will be a little softer but the springs and valving work together as a system not individual variables.

rayspeed

#8 Post by rayspeed »

QUOTE (kevin444 @ Apr 9 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm about 190lbs now and trying to drop some more "haha". the one that you have are the blue or white ones? i would really like to try these out and see if they soften things up. we can go either way, what works best you? let me know which you prefer.....

thanks,

kevin

The arvin springs I have are yellow so they look similar to the ohlins... in fact to the untrained eye they look the same but the gauge of the spring wire is smaller.
In fact this is what they look like on a set of ohlins. I would guess that they are about 20% softer.
Send me your address and I will send them to you to try for free... if they work send me back your ohlins springs, if they dont we can work out some sort of deposit on the works to try and if you like them send me your ohlins and I will refund your deposit.
Ray

kevin444

#9 Post by kevin444 »

Ray,

Mine are in deed Ohlins, marked (180-48 .071). The following is my address....

Kevin Wimberly
1017 Olvera Way
Las Vegas, NV 89128

Thanks a million,

Kevin

kevin444

#10 Post by kevin444 »

ray,

did you ever get my info? Noticed the personal message system is down.

kevin