Powdercoating c-dale frames, please read!

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Big Winky

Powdercoating c-dale frames, please read!

#1 Post by Big Winky »

Today I went and talked to modern heat treating in erie, pa. what ever you do DO NOT powdercoat your frame it WILL lose the temper. the process goes like this.... the frame is heated to around 1000 degrees to normalize it, then it is placed in a solution to prepare it for tempering, it is then heated up to 350 degrees and then "aged" for the resulting t-6 temper to the alum. heating this tempered frame to the 425 degrees required for powdercoating will destroy the temper and you will have a pretty, but useless frame.

the anodizer also got a visit from me today. I must "paint" all steel pieces on the frame with some stuff which they gave me in a small bottle, if i miss any threads or any parts of the fasteners they will be destroyed by the acids used in the process. I give them the frame perfectly clean, ready to process and "something under $200" and they give me back a frame all pretty and spend some time removing the "paint" stuff. One note: the appearance of the anodizing is directly controlled by the finish underneath as anodizing will not cover anything up (hide).

Hope this clears up the questions.

CDaleChick

#2 Post by CDaleChick »

any pics???

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

How about powdercoating the swingarms, will it hurt the aluminum also?

out4ya

Powercoated Frame

#4 Post by out4ya »

I pick up my frame tomorrow. Not sure how hot they baked it but I'll be sure to ask. I'll post finding tomorrow. Hoping I wont have to buy a new frame!

Big Winky

#5 Post by Big Winky »

Yes, any processes that are done to the alum can not exceed 325 degrees without removing the temper.

Big Winky

#6 Post by Big Winky »

You'll be in luck! We have a couple frames for sale also. But really, if it's too soft, it can be stripped and retempered to original (T-6), but then your back where you started. But at least your frame will be usable again.

out4ya

Powdercoating Frame

#7 Post by out4ya »

How will I know if its to soft. Any test?? Or just gauge by bake temperature?

Big Winky

#8 Post by Big Winky »

I am going to send a damaged frame to the powdercoaters tomorrow and have it tested for temper afterwords to see for sure what affect if any there is on the temper. that will give us the answer for sure.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Another factor to consider is will it affect the straightness?I remember at the tour they said they actually had to compensate for this during their frame building.I believe it was tempered twice also.Rumor is that Honda is having some major problems making their alum frame quad frames straight.(probably one good reason all ours were Handbuilt)

Big Winky

#10 Post by Big Winky »

very good point.