A-arm Bushing removal

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Whats the easiest way to get the plastic bushings out? I just seem to be ripping them.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

I just turn mine the right way and they fall out. LOL. Seriously, mine aren't that hard to get out. Which arms do you have?

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Stock ones. I think these must be different material its real soft almost like rubber. Replacements are much harder material.

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Actually the stock bushings are the ones that fell out when I took my arms off for the first time. You're right though, the replacement material is harder. I have had maybe one or two that were hard to get out and even then I could just grab them with some pliers, turn and pull out.

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

I have had good luck with an air hammer with a punch adapter and catching the edge from the inside, but if you dont have one that dont help you much but they are only like twelve bucks these days at hd or wally world.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

I just grab mine with the pliers and twist a little. The ones in mine are very hard already so they must have been replaced already.

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

I've never had to take them out but I wonder if a blind hole bearing puller would get them out with out damage?

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

I've taken several sets out and I have had little to no trouble with them as well. I wonder if the early model ones (like FX400 & early Cannibal) have different bushings? I removed mine with a big punch and hammer as well. Usually two whacks with a hammer and they are out.

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

I have had some that had to be taken out with a hammer and screw driver. They were completely siezed in there and spray oil wasn't penatrating quick enough.

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

I've had them really tight, too. I went with pliers but that's gonna' leave some marks. Grab 'em and turn. They'll come out. After one is out, I use a socket to push the other one out.