Brake Line Clamps

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
kdeal

#1 Post by kdeal »

I have a question for some of you more experienced racers out there. I am trying to install a set of billet brake line clamps like the ones in the picture and I am running into a fit issue. I happen to have a set left over from another project and decided to install them on my bike. The size is suppose to be 3/4" & 1" due to a removable nylon bushing that alters the tubing size on the clamp. My A-Arm tubing is 1" (measured). The ID of the clamp tightened without the nylon insert is around .88". These do not seem to come close to fitting. Are you suppose to put them on with a lot of force? I have newly PC'd a-arms and I would rather not guess....

[attachment=8736:BrakeClmp.jpg]

2000ex

#2 Post by 2000ex »

Ken,

They are .88 id when tightened not on the arm correct? There will be a small gap between the clamps when you put it on a 1 inch diameter arm. Your other option if that does not fit is just use a longer allen bolt (which I am assuming they have) to tighten down.

I think that is what you were asking dry.gif

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

When trying to install them the inner clamping area does not even come close to touching the A-arms (clamp unbolted). In other words I am talking about just one half of the clamp on the A-arm. The outer parts of the clamp seem to be keeping it from "snapping" onto the a-arm. I don't know if I am suppose to gently persuade them onto the arm and then bolt on the other half, or if these are too small for the arms. I haven't even tried to bolt them together on the arm due to this issue.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Hrmm, my houser arms must be smaller diamter since they fit fine on them. I'll measure just to be sure in a bit.

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

If that is the case they are obviously too small

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Aug 9 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hrmm, my houser arms must be smaller diamter since they fit fine on them. I'll measure just to be sure in a bit.

That's what they came off of..... the red blaze I had with Houser LT arms. My brother had the same problem on his moto conversion with a similar clamp. He had to go out and find some 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" clamos as the factory Moto arms are hugh. When we went to mount his, they were too big! Opposite of my problem. We used some plastic tape as a cushion under the clamps and on the A-arms. We had a similar problem with the hose mount part of the clamp and ended up drilling those holes bigger! So I am thoroughly confused on these types of clamps.
wacko.gif