Anyone ever try a long travel rear shock setup?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

PEP and FOX dont use a PDS for our shocks and I have to admit they both can be made to work very well.The short stroke of our shock is the real issue with a PDS.I always was going to try making the mount for the PDS piston shorter so it comes into play later.Especially with a ZPS type conversion it would be worthwhile I think since the PDS piston is always in play if shock is ZPS'ed.I have seen some PEP conversions where the PDS was removed and some where it wasnt.

duke416ex

#12 Post by duke416ex »

I was just looking at the stock swinger the other day thinking about how much room there would be to move the mount. I don't have a tig though so I was just thinking. The PDS is a unique set up, other than the dale I have not ridden any others to know how they compare to elka or axis or anything though. I would think with that much room in teh swingarm area, the possibilities are endless though on a dale.

2000ex

#13 Post by 2000ex »

Axis is the only rear shock I have not tried, but I have one and just need to bolt it on. The only ones that I have found work really well are the stock ohlins and the PEP. The rear Elka is a pile of crap.

jesshamner

#14 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Sep 15 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Axis is the only rear shock I have not tried, but I have one and just need to bolt it on. The only ones that I have found work really well are the stock ohlins and the PEP. The rear Elka is a pile of crap.

Derno found that out at one of the 12 hour races after he folded an Elka.

jacobw

#15 Post by jacobw »

got an idea the ohlins is a awesome shock send it to propilot racing and have them revalve and spring it for you and it will be all you will ever need he specializes in ohlins and knows what needs to be done to work properly and not some half assed conversion like pep offers. And the stock podium shock is a pile of crap, I snapped one of those in half also but the new podium X shocks are pretty nice.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Jacob reason you hate the stock Fox is because you never tried one I made.A few simple cheap mods and they work great.

jacobw

#17 Post by jacobw »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 15 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jacob reason you hate the stock Fox is because you never tried one I made.A few simple cheap mods and they work great.

yes thats true, I have bought a set of custom axis to go with my HRE arms derno is getting made for me and next year fronts will be FOX evols or Motowoz, so steve fill me in on the fox rear what can be done i dont have one for a carcas to disect, i have a blaze ohlins right now.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Just keep an eye out for a adjustable resevoir.That and some valving and they work great.Even converted some to a X by using the rebound adjustable shaft from a Polaris .Never rode it myself but guys that got them just love em.

joep1219

#19 Post by joep1219 »

QUOTE (jacobw @ Sep 15 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
got an idea the ohlins is a awesome shock send it to propilot racing and have them revalve and spring it for you and it will be all you will ever need he specializes in ohlins and knows what needs to be done to work properly and not some half assed conversion like pep offers. And the stock podium shock is a pile of crap, I snapped one of those in half also but the new podium X shocks are pretty nice.

just got of the phone with propilot, they seem to be very reasonable on price and turn around.
$350 rear
$350 both fronts
that was full sevice, revalve, and respring. they seem to offer a pretty good program, life time revalving for no cost when you service the shocks with them. and turn around was about 1 week.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Alot more $ than me.But I guess spending $ makes people faster.