AXLE REMOVAL

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Hacksaw830

#1 Post by Hacksaw830 »

Ive just rebuilt my 4th dale engine and now I need to replace the bearings in the rear axel carrier.
Is there a post on how to get the axel out of the swingarm? Ive removed the bolts that clamp the axel carrier in the swingarm, removed the 3 small screws on the nut thats on the left side of the axel,removed the bolts that for the carrier bracket and Ive removed both hubs I cant figure out how to get the little wire clip off(its the one on the right side of the axel, it holds the sprocket hub on). I assume that after I get this little deamon off it will slide through the carrier, right? also how does the carrier come out of the swing arm? will it come out when I remove the large circlip on the left side of the swing arm?

67z400

#2 Post by 67z400 »

The process is not too hard, just frustrating if your bearings seize up inside your carrier.

You do not need to remove the clip that holds on the sprocket hub. The axle comes out in that direction. You will only have to remove your sprocket from the sprocket hub.

You need to remove the brake rotor assembly.
Once you have the lock nut off remove the two c clips that are on the axle holding the threaded insert in place.
Then pull off the brake rotor hub.
Once everything on the left side is off start beating on the left part of the axle to get it out.

To get the carrier out you will need a medium to large snap ring tool. It can be a PITA to remove if you are doing it alone. Once the snap ring is out the carrier slides right out.
To get the bearings out I have used a vise to hold my carrier and 1.25" socket to hammer out bearings that are pressed on. I have used heat in the past to get the bearings out, but I usually use that as a last resort. To install the bearings place them in a freezer and then hammer them back in with the oversized socket.

Hacksaw830

#3 Post by Hacksaw830 »

I hate to sound like a dumbass but, how does the lock nut come off? is it threaded on the shaft or do I beat it off? and is it left or right hand thread?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Its threaded. I believe its right hand thread but honestly don't remember. You will thread it all the way off then you will see the threaded collar. Push it toward the brake hub and then the two clips will come out. Slide the collar off. Brake hub off. Then tap the axle out using a rubber mallet. You can leave sprocket on if it clears the chain guide. Chain must be removed.

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

I use a long punch on the bearings and heat if necessary. Definitely put the bearings in the freezer. It makes them so much easier to get in. I like to use a big socket to beat them back in if necessary.

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 3 2010, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then the two clips will come out.

The clips are in a groove on the axle, hidden under the threaded sleeve, that's why you have to push the sleeve in towards the center of the quad, then you'll see the clips. They'll come right out after the sleeve is out of the way.

When re-installing the bearings, clean the carrier and warm it up. On top of a wood stove or in the oven works well, clean it good- hot grease in the oven stinks! Not that I know from experience or anything. Bearings in the freezer for a while. Do the carrier and the bearings, and the bearings will fall right in. Make sure you grease or anti-sieze the heck out of the inside and outside of the spacer tube to prevent rusting. If you have to physically push the bearings in, make sure you only push on the outer race. Pushing on the inner race will damage the balls and decrease bearing life. I've taken one of the old bearings to the bench grinder and made the OD a little smaller. Then, I can use it to set the bearings in, tapping lightly around it with a hammer. Only have to do that in the summer when the wood stove isn't burning. For some reason, my axle carriers aren't welcome in the oven anymore...

Warming the carrier helps a little with bearing removal, but not as much as the bearings are warming up, too. But AL grows more than steel, so it does help. Usually, i just warm the assembly, and pop it against a flat piece of wood. A couple dozen times and everything is out. Helps to keep the spacer in the carrier when doing the second side, it helps push teh bearings out. Use tape or your hand to hold it in.

Don't forget there's a washer/spacer that goes between the outer bearings and the seals!

67z400

#7 Post by 67z400 »

QUOTE (NRath @ Feb 5 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't forget there's a washer/spacer that goes between the outer bearings and the seals!

There is a washer/spacer inbetween the outer bearings and seal??? I have never seen that on mine. Does anyone have a picture or diagram?

NRath

#8 Post by NRath »

For once, I'm on at home. Even have the camera and the laptop in the garage! I slid the washer to the side so you could see it. I'm sure if you look in the atv parts book, you'll find a breakdown of it in there.

67z400

#9 Post by 67z400 »

Wow, I've had my bearings out 2-3 times. Never seen that spacer. I need it.

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

That spacer is so thin, what does it actually do? If it doesn't hurt to run without it, what good is it?