Dominator axle questions?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Anybody run these axles? Ive got a couple laying around and never used them. One is a Dominator and the other is a dominator II. Whats the difference between the them? Comparing them to a moto axle the splines are wider and the snap ring grooves are further apart. Can I assume these were made for another brand and cobbed with wider hubs and adjuster nut to fit on a Dale? I most likey will just sell these so knowing what machines they were built for would open it up to a bigger market. Notice in the pics the adjuster is a pinch bolt on a slit. No seals or orings on the hub either. When I took it apart the adjuster was full of sand and dirt. Whats up with that?

2000ex

#2 Post by 2000ex »

I run them on my MX bikes. They are the best axle hands down on the market for strength. The dominator II was the later version which was stronger yet than the original dominator. Not real sure if the ones made for our machines would work on other machines. I dont think I have ever seen an axle with orings or seals so not real sure what you mean by that huh.gif

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

I'm not sure about whats whats, but on the axle nut ppl put silicone to seal the grove for the pinch bolt.

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

We are running a Dominator on our Moto. not sure if its a II but don't think it is. Kyle at R&S sold it to me and we stopped by on our way to Lorreta Lynns. I had asked if I could install it in his parking lot so I wouldn't drive the rest of the way to lorreta Lynns and find I was a part or two short. He said no Problem but, when I got there he had me bring it into his shop and put it up on his hoist and he helped change it. So I never laid them out together to see if there was a differance.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

RPM at last returned my calls . They said the Cannondale axle they sell is for a 450r. They just built wider hubs and adjuster nut to make up the difference. they also said the dominator and dominator 2 are built by a different process but very much the same as far as strength.

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

Can tell someone never reads my posts........

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Wistech @ May 6 2010, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RPM at last returned my calls . They said the Cannondale axle they sell is for a 450r. They just built wider hubs and adjuster nut to make up the difference. they also said the dominator and dominator 2 are built by a different process but very much the same as far as strength.

That don't make much sence. because I bought my dominator before honda even announced they were comming out with the 450R. unless the older ones are differant. ???????

2000ex

#8 Post by 2000ex »

The guys you spoke with probably were not there almost 10 years ago when they were building these axles specific to our machines. They probably only remember the latest thing is what Pete has been selling for a while which is an adapter kit to retrofit a 450R axle to suit our machines.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Did they ever make one just for Dales using stock locknut?400ex axle same as 450r?Way back we just used 250r RPM axle which needed a bunch of adapting including hubs.

peterock

#10 Post by peterock »

If I remember correctly from my conversations with them, they did make an actual cannondale axle at one time. It was an option to have them made again, but I didn't have the money to have 250 axles made. sad.gif

Wistech should be able to give them serial number off the axle and they can tell him what it was made for.