Trying to decide on wheels/tires

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
jinx44

#1 Post by jinx44 »

Okay, so after a 5-6 year time of being off of ATVs, it seems quite a lot has changed in the wheel/tire manufacturers. I liked Fast Trekkers on my banshees, but they are obviously no longer made. ITP has several versions of holeshots now, and many of the other tires that were around back then are not available. Wheel options have changed as well.

I have been riding on the stock wheels and holeshots since I got back into ATVing and Cannondales. Well, they are getting age, miles, and dry rot on them. This weekend, I cut the sidewall in a front tire on the trails, swapped it out, rode another hour then dented in the lip of a rear wheel and it went flat.

The trails I ride are pretty rocky and have some roots and such sticking out. I need a good heavy duty wheel that isn't going to bend easily. Also, I need a tire that will work well on rocky and loose terrain, and has a thick sidewall. I want something that gives good traction, yet has predictable sliding. I still steer a lot with the rear end, since its a habit I formed during years of riding the 2 strokes.

So, for you guys that know what works well on a cannondale, what do you recommend?

NRath

#2 Post by NRath »

Hmmm, Ford or Chevy??

You've got a similar question.

If money's no object, Hiper's are the way to go for wheels, but that's the $500 range just for wheels. On a tighter budget, I'd suggest the ITP T-9 Baja wheel. If that's still a little steep, ITP or Douglas .190's are a very durable wheel. They won't cut the mustard for hardcore thrashing/racing, but they'll hold up pretty well with aggressive trail riding.

For tires, like you saw, many to choose from. I'm currently on ITP Holeshot XCR's. The fronts definitely grip better than my well worn Razor's, but comparing worn to new isn't really fair. But, I'm very happy with the fronts. The rears have great traction with good sliding ability, but they wear kinda' fast. I'd try something else on the rear if you need them to last. Maxxis Razor's are a perennial favorite on the rear, Razor II's appear to be well liked, too. If you want a monster tire, the Holeshot HD is a pretty indestructable looking tire and I'm sure it's got some traction and would be great for hopping out of ruts and general trail riding and rooting around. Kenda's got a couple XC tires, but I can't really rate them as I've never ridden them. There are a couple other Holeshot's and the I-Razors, but I can't comment on them either.

For trail riding like you described, the Razor II's front and rear won't disappoint you, but they're not cheap.

I'm sure there will be some good input from the rest of the crew. I can tell you there is no bottom line, best tire to buy, though! That would be too easy!

jinx44

#3 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (NRath @ May 19 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, Ford or Chevy??

That one is simple. Ford all the way!!!! LOL

I have ran the reinforced ITPs (actually have a set for sale for yamaha pattern), before they got the "baja" name. The ones I have are welded, and I guess ITP now just rolls the ring into the lip?

I never cared for the original Razrs on the banshees, but of course 4 stroke power delivery is different, as is geometry. That's why I am curious what everyone here likes.

I looked at the Hiper wheels, and they really aren't all that much more than the ITP Baja. I am not a fan of black wheels though. I would think they would be very resistant to deep scratching compared to aluminum?

TricityCdale

#4 Post by TricityCdale »

As far as tires go, I am a HUGE fan of the ITP GNCC tires. I have a set I am on my second season of GP racing on. I absolutely love them. They get great traction in mud and are very predictable sliding in the dry stuff. Super straight line traction as well. I have run Razr 2's and though I like the fronts, the rears require modifications to really begin to work near as well as the GNCC's.

Oh, and Ford.... tongue.gif

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (NRath @ May 19 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, Ford or Chevy??

You've got a similar question.

If money's no object, Hiper's are the way to go for wheels, but that's the $500 range just for wheels. On a tighter budget, I'd suggest the ITP T-9 Baja wheel. If that's still a little steep, ITP or Douglas .190's are a very durable wheel. They won't cut the mustard for hardcore thrashing/racing, but they'll hold up pretty well with aggressive trail riding.

For tires, like you saw, many to choose from. I'm currently on ITP Holeshot XCR's. The fronts definitely grip better than my well worn Razor's, but comparing worn to new isn't really fair. But, I'm very happy with the fronts. The rears have great traction with good sliding ability, but they wear kinda' fast. I'd try something else on the rear if you need them to last. Maxxis Razor's are a perennial favorite on the rear, Razor II's appear to be well liked, too. If you want a monster tire, the Holeshot HD is a pretty indestructable looking tire and I'm sure it's got some traction and would be great for hopping out of ruts and general trail riding and rooting around. Kenda's got a couple XC tires, but I can't really rate them as I've never ridden them. There are a couple other Holeshot's and the I-Razors, but I can't comment on them either.

For trail riding like you described, the Razor II's front and rear won't disappoint you, but they're not cheap.

I'm sure there will be some good input from the rest of the crew. I can tell you there is no bottom line, best tire to buy, though! That would be too easy!

this sounds about right to me, although the ITP GNCC tires Tricity was talking about seem like a good choice. also I feel the ITP Holeshots have better traction on hard pack than the razors but the razors seem to wear longer.

Oh yeah, CHEVY but I'm one who doesn't like to work on my truck laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Well at least seems like everyone likes Holeshots!I do to.Been itching to try the new GNCC's.I am running XCR's and am real happy with them.

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

Tires tires? Holeshots? Naw Haulers laugh.gif

jinx44

#8 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ May 20 2010, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tires tires? Holeshots? Naw Haulers laugh.gif

Some of us grew up from playing in sandboxes. laugh.gif

Z4J

#9 Post by Z4J »

HiPer wheels has treated me very well for many quads. They???re expensive, but well worth it. The Baja wheel would be my budget option.
For my riding style GNCC/MIHS I prefer 6ply Razor rears and Razor II fronts.

...Chevy

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ May 20 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of us grew up from playing in sandboxes. laugh.gif

Naw Bigger boys have bigger toys. Umm Ford just like a Cdale when it runs right LOL.