Stuck Rear Rotor

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Lightman02

#1 Post by Lightman02 »

So I need to remove my axel to replace the bearing carrier bearings. I have everything else off but the brake rotor assembly. It's on there pretty good, any tricks to getting it off? Or just hammer the **** out of it, there not much room to hit it as the disc gets in the way. Or am I doing something wrong??

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Once nut is off just hit the end of axle with a big ruber mallet or a big hammer with a piece of oak or aluminum on axle end. Leave nut on axle end to prevent thread damage. Wouldn't hurt to shoot some lube in splines of brake hub. Do not hit the disc or the hub. Leave it in place and slide axle through it once loose. If axle wont slide after soaking and beating axle. Report back.

Lightman02

#3 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 7 2010, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once nut is off just hit the end of axle with a big ruber mallet or a big hammer with a piece of oak or aluminum on axle end.Leave nut on axle end to prevent thread damage.Wouldnt hurt to shoot some lube in splines of brake hub.Do not hit the disc or the hub.Leave it in place and slide axle through it once loose.If axle wont slide after soaking and beating axle.Report back.

Will due as far as lube I think I used a whole can of WD40 already.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

If no anti sieze was used or you had cheap bearings in there you might need to use a press and ruin the sprocket hub to get clip out in order to remove the axle with carrier still on it. Parts Unlimited bearings introduced me to this hellish process. Never again. I use Canniboomer's bearing now and no issues.