stock cannondale arms on 400ex

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
311racer

#11 Post by 311racer »

pic2

jesshamner

#12 Post by jesshamner »

Can someone measure the width of the frame at the upper and lower a arm mounts and the height between the upper and lower mounts?

jesshamner

#13 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (311racer @ Jan 6 2011, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to use the 400ex brakes and you can use cannondale or 400ex shocks if there the right lenght.

If you have to use the 400ex brakes, then you can use the yfz dual piston calipers. They are a direct bolt up to the 400ex knuckle.

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Dont forget about Kawasaki.Their balljoint taper is same as Cannondale so no adapters needed.

Brad77

#15 Post by Brad77 »

I have installed a set of Cannondale Houser a-arms on a 400ex. The 400ex had a Houser stem (for a 400ex). I used Cannondale spindles, brakes and used Honda tie rods, ends, shocks. I remember it working pretty good.
I was worried about the spindle tie rod mount, for instance if it was too high or to low you would have toe in toe out problems as the suspension made its cycle, but don't remember having any problems with it.
I did not know that Yamaha brakes would fit on a 400ex spindle and also did not know that kawi has the same ball joint taper. I wonder how different the geometry is on a Kawi a-arm.
I have a 400ex chassis sitting at my shop along with my cannondales. Maybe this weekend I can get some measurements for you Jess.

jesshamner

#16 Post by jesshamner »

Brad, thanks. I might be able to get measurements tomorrow. I just don't have my Cdale since I live in an apt. You bring up a good point on the toe in. I can see how if it is a different angle it can cause problems.

Good info Steve. I want aware of the kawi info. I would rather stick with Honda just for the simple reason that there are more out there.

Brad77

#17 Post by Brad77 »

Ok I did some research on the cannondale vs 400ex front end frame measurements.

Here is a side shot so you can see the relative position of the lower stem mount.

Here is something interesting for those that don't know. The upper mounts on the Cannondale frame are moved back slightly for a different castor angle. I used a straight edge to show. Notice the Honda mounts are directly on top of each other.

Also here are some comparison photos of spindles. The spindle design is very simliar other than the angle that Honda put on the ball joint mounts. Its kinda funny that I always thought the Honda spindle looked more Cannondalish than the Dale spindle.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

That top mount of spindle is where there would be a physical issue.In last pic you can see the dale spindle has a slight angle Honda doesnt.Dale a-arms would definitely be bound up before full downward travel was used up.Lower also.Nice work Brad!

jesshamner

#19 Post by jesshamner »

Thanks for the great pics Brad! I'm curious how the upper mount on the cdale affects travel compared to the 400ex. It seems to me that the spindle could make up for that difference and the arc of motion is still the same but its hard to visualize sitting here on the couch. The rearward steering stem position on the cdale concerns me as well.

Brad77

#20 Post by Brad77 »

I found some pics of my 400ex chassis with Houser (Cannondale) +3 a-arms. Notice the tie rods are parallel with the a-arms. I did eventually take these a-arms off this quad because I switched over to a set of +1 Houser a-arms which were for the Honda application.