stock cannondale arms on 400ex

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
jacobw

#1 Post by jacobw »

will they work gonna put a boomer balljoint setup on them.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Wouldn't it just be simpler to put 400ex arms on a 400ex?They are really cheap.Anyway since geometry is wrong when putting 400ex arms on a Dale unless you use 400ex spindles it will be wrong putting Dale arms on a 400 unless you use the Dale spindles.

cannondalemaine

#3 Post by cannondalemaine »

I had a set of asr with standard travel Elka triple rates that we put on my friends 400ex after I bought my long travel. C27 is right, with using the spindles. So we used pretty much the whole setup for it to work arms,spindles, hubs etc

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Does using the whole front end still throw the geometry off? I have never really seen this question answered and I still haven't bolted it up to see for myself. I'm confused a little I guess. It seems to me that if different arms give the same camber and caster, the same distance apart at all 3 points, and the shock has the same or a little more stroke, then the geometry and shock could work with possibly a slight valuing adjustment. I haven't forgotten about the tie rods. I guess the mounting tab on the different spindle would need to close to stock in order to keep from binding or hitting the frame. Am I on the right track?

311racer

#5 Post by 311racer »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Jan 5 2011, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does using the whole front end still throw the geometry off? I have never really seen this question answered and I still haven't bolted it up to see for myself. I'm confused a little I guess. It seems to me that if different arms give the same camber and caster, the same distance apart at all 3 points, and the shock has the same or a little more stroke, then the geometry and shock could work with possibly a slight valuing adjustment. I haven't forgotten about the tie rods. I guess the mounting tab on the different spindle would need to close to stock in order to keep from binding or hitting the frame. Am I on the right track?

You can use a 400ex arms, you just have to use 400ex spindles, brakes , and hubs. Then everything works fine. I have pictures if needed.

Mike

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Jess its close.But I agree it must change geometry somewhat.Never looked to see what changes but it could be better or worse depending on your preference.Other things to consider are just the angle the spindle meets the upper joint and tierod mounting point.

cannondalemaine

#7 Post by cannondalemaine »

My friend says it's night and day between setup when we changed it over, he loves my Dale and the way it handles. I have not tried 400ex stuff on my
Quad though

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

What about brakes and shocks?

311racer

#9 Post by 311racer »

You have to use the 400ex brakes and you can use cannondale or 400ex shocks if there the right lenght.

311racer

#10 Post by 311racer »

Here are some pictures of my cannondale with 400ex walsh a-arms, spindles, hubs, and brakes.