Difference in Fox floats?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Has anyone ever used a pair of regular floats on a long travel setup. How do they compare to the evols as far as ride and valving? Do they fade? Weak shafts? etc What pressures do you run for trail / MX? I've already converted both Motos to the evols for around $600 a pair but was looking to save a few bucks on the last setup and found a few of the regular floats for $300 to $400. I'm running double rate fox podium and elkas in the rear.
Im sure the price of Floats will go up in the next few months as spring rolls around so I'd like to snag a set ASAP.

jacobw

#2 Post by jacobw »

the regular floats, dont have the evol chamber for the ride hieght adjust you have to adjust them to the proper pressure and ride, plus the ones with evols chambers have dual speed compression which you can control the rolling in the corners associated with air shocks. When the evols first came out you had the option of single speed comp and dual speed compression now all they have is the dual speed which you really need to fine tune the air shocks. I have an rock shox air fork on my mountain bike and i must say its worlds better than the spring for i originally had and it wasnt a cheap junk spring fork

2000ex

#3 Post by 2000ex »

Pretty sure the regular floats are only standard travel.

There are the Float R's which are the original non reservoir floats they are rebound adjustable only They have the Float X which is essentially the evol without the evol chamber but have a reservoir. Personally, if you are picking up the Evols for $600 I would stick with that because they are far better than the other options and they are made for LT front ends.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

They will work and lots of them are long travel but if you run to low of air pressure to try getting them low they will bottom out and ruin the shock because there is no bumpstop in them. Metal to metal. Evols have a small bumpstop and the Evol chamber which is a air bumpstop which allows you to run lower main pressure. If not to worried about ride hieght the regular floats will work fine. Arctic Cat has many sleds with long enough shocks for long travel.

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

I guess if you buy the floats for a snowmobile that would work, however I would imagine they would need a lot of work to get them to work properly. You would need to cross reference them against a sled with the same extended and compressed length then I would think the valving would be very different for a sled than a 380lb ATV. The rebuild kits for them are quite expensive with all of the seals as well. trying to get them to work by saving a few hundred on the purchase price may end up costing you more than you think. In the long run I think you will have a better performing shock if you go with the correct length and stroke Evols made for an ATV.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

My first set was Natalie's I picked up dirt cheap.$400 Brian built them and shortened them which is gravy because they use all sorts of spacers inside. They didnt need a seal kit because they were fresh rebuilt . I did have to buy a new set of guards and pumps but still ended up just a hair under $600 total.
The econd set was already the correct length from some jap quad. I think I paid $500 for those . Brian seems to like the floats because he gets the kits pretty cheap and they are easy to work on. I really like them because of the aweome ride and quick ride height adjustments when I steal Karens quad. wink.gif