Mx tire question???????? Help!!!

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cannondale719

#1 Post by cannondale719 »

Hey guys on my c dale would a 19-6-10 front hotshot Mx an a 18-11-8 turf tamer with hiper dual locks in rears an single locks in front be a good choice for Mx indoors??

jacobw

#2 Post by jacobw »

nope turf tamers suck ***.....i would run holeshots or kenda claws in a soft compound. The tread is to close on the turf tamers without grooving them, they clog up too easy

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I've had problems with the 19" fronts and the frame smacking. Had to raise ride height on shocks to compensate. Seemed to be the only fix. Ended up being the same height as a pair of 20's. All depends on setup though I'm sure. But as said, toss the Tamers. They're a tire of the past. There's alot of choices nowadays, including specific soft compound MX tires. DWT has quite a few options now as well.

cannondale719

#4 Post by cannondale719 »

What about a 18-10 or 11-8 razr Mx ?

cannondale719

#5 Post by cannondale719 »

Now on set up what do mean as for the 19 fronts?

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Depends on how what front end your running, shock setup, and how you have your ride height set. I keep mine as low as I can without sacrificing bottoming/too plush and to keep the frame off the ground. Both front ends im running now with Fox shocks seem to like to put the frame very close to the ground when fully compressed. (ASR and Hermann) Though I haven't ridden on the Hermann yet. Only done measurements and setup waiting on a crank for that quad. Maybe it's just a CDale thing though, I don't know.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (cannondale719 @ Dec 8 2011, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys on my c dale would a 19-6-10 front hotshot Mx an a 18-11-8 turf tamer with hiper dual locks in rears a single locks in front be a good choice for Mx indoors??

Thats the exzact setup my son prefered. Just a pair of nippers to take knobbies out. He had a pattern he perfered. I pushed on him to run the Holeshots but he felt he had better control when sliding with the tamers. I tried modifying the tread on the holeshots and I think he may liked it better but he still preferred the tamers. people can say what they want about the tamers, but I saw a big improvment when he went back to them

He also got rid of the 20" for the 19". I have always felt that a larger diameter front should be best, But I wasn't the one riding.

AS for the suspension setup between the 19 & 20s. logically lower center of gravity the better for handling, you should be touching the bump stops on the big stuff. Its been a while but I think when I took the springs off the front shocks the frame was about an inch off the ground just sitting on the bump stops. Frame smacking the ground may be bad but, it is better than breaking or bending a mount which is what would happen if you fully bottom out your suspension before the frame makes contact with the ground (maybe not the first time but, eventually). Bottom line is you have to set it up for what you prefer or better yet what makes your average lap times better.

We tried to keep the ride hight as low as possible. Most tracks we kept the spring just tight enough so they didn't rattle at full extension and then used the crossover adjustment to keep from hitting the bump stops to much. He may have played with the comp. adj. a bit but with limited practice time they give you on a normal weekend I was happy to just get him in the ballpark at first.

cannondale719

#8 Post by cannondale719 »

What tamer you guys run 18-11-8 or 18-9.50-8??

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

18-11-8

cannondale719

#10 Post by cannondale719 »

What about 18-9.50-8 are those any different other than size found a good deal on them would handling be much different even still running an extended axle?