Chain and disc guards?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
NRath

#11 Post by NRath »

I think we know about your problem. All the aluminum skids have the plate connecting the 2 pieces of angle that are the actual guards. The plate is the real problem. The guards are pretty well fitted to the rotor and sprocket. I'm sure there's at least 1/2" to gain though if the guard was up and even with the chain or rotor.

Like other's, I've ditched the aftermarket guards, or should I say beat them into submission, and gone back to the stock plastic guards.

marshall100

#12 Post by marshall100 »

If the stock plastic guards can take a thump off a tree stump without breaking it must be the way to go?

jesshamner

#13 Post by jesshamner »

The stockers are the best I've seen. And I definitely gave them some punishment over the years. Tree stumps are no match for the stock skids.

Canniboomer

#14 Post by Canniboomer »

For sure...Our superb OEM skids have less drag than other stock skidplates, and much less drag than aftermarket skids. But still, they can and do impede the machine at times....on first dune trips, other guys would complain "why are those still on there?!"....while waiting for us to strip off the skids and keep up with the pack. Countless machines at sand dunes are running around with nothing back there, but it seems every dune area has rocks around the edges, and miles of trails with roots and stumps.

Cannondale trimmed off the inner wing from the Moto sprocket skid, but I can't understand why they did not remove the inner wing from the rotor skid also?...and why do we need both inner wings on ANY Cannondale?
I turned a machine over years ago (oils drained) and trimmed off all 4 wings with a circular saw w/rip-fence,...it was kind of tricky and it's better to remove them and use a table saw. The narrow skids will slice like a butter-knife though anything, but will still hit an obstacle several inches forward of the chain or rotor, and lift the axle up and over quite well. You never have to run one "naked" back there. Some less ground clearance with these uplifting skids is much better, not worse. The center of the thin skid is only about an inch from the sprocket or rotor, so even that version gives some decent protection.
Two options?...Trail-Skids, or Dune-Skids: