Chain and disc guards?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Hi folks, after some decent woods riding at the weekend I was looking at other riders setups and many were not running with swing arm guards but disc type chain and brake disc guards. Are these available for our own bikes or not?

Could feel the swing arm dragging it's bum on a few sections and would prefer to alter the setup if possible.

NRath

#2 Post by NRath »

You'll have to find a crossover- what else uses our rotor and sprocket bolt patterns, and use that as your model to order parts. There's a list of crosses in one of the stickies on one of the topics.

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

Thanks man, I'll track it down.

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

You got me curious, so...

According to the Parts crossover, 400EX sprocket guards should work. I'm sure the bolt pattern will line-up, but not positive bolt lengths will be right as our hubs may be thicker or thinner. Those are small details easy to work out, though. The rotor guard won't be as easy to match. Just have to see how the guard mounts.

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

I have looked into this myself and I believe it will be a custom application. Perhaps our resident machinest Timbo can whip some up.

Honda's will fit bolt pattern wise, however the sizes that are made for the Honda's are too small diameter wise due to their smaller rear sprocket gearing. Since typical "woods" gearing is in the 40-42 tooth range for our Cannondales, it is much larger a much large sprocket than the Honda's typical 36-38 tooth rear for woods.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

We have a very thin aluminum sprocket hubs. Its strong enough to take drive train loads but smashing against rocks ? Are you having issues with your stock guards. Have you broken anything?

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I think Wistech brings up a good question. Are you having trouble? The stock guards are just as good as any and you probably won't gain much ground clearance with that setup. I looked into it a while ago and decided to stick with the stock setup.

2000ex

#8 Post by 2000ex »

It does offer additional ground clearance for sure. If you are racing on gnarly terrain that gets horribly rutted and or nasty rocks every .25 inch helps. This is only really needed for hardcore racers or those who ride nasty stuff. I was going to make a set out of hdpe but have had no time for projects.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

Ok, so maybe it will give you 1/4" more of clearance. My original set of skids were worn through from flexing and rubbing on the rotor and the sprockets. Just saying.

marshall100

#10 Post by marshall100 »

I have an aluminium swing arm guard fitted, and on the tough stuff and at the two enduro's I've done this year it's been dragging like a plough when it's a rutted up.

This got me thinking about alternative setups. I also thought that maybe the plastic stock guards would be better than the 'plough' I have on there at the moment because there nowhere near the size of that alu guard.

I'll take some pics when I wash the bike and you can have a look at the state of it as I dare say after the weekend it's fairly beat up.