Rear axle options or change of shock?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

The following picture is one of a common theme for me riding. The inside rear wheel picking up under cornering. I kept the stock Ohlins on the back and have I think 1/5 inch rear spacers on the back.

Now while I'm not leaning enough, it does happen alot. What are the options on a rear axle? I don't want to go too mad cause I'm not a major fan of mx riding and fear that a wider quad on the back end is going to hurt my ability in an enduo.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Arent there crossovers in the front shocks?If so you need to make the gap smaller.Only other choices are lowering the quad or making it wider.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

I'm with 27. I think you need to focus on the front suspension to help keep the inside rear wheel down.

who_gives_a6

#4 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Agreed with above but there is always the adjustable axle if you like the rear wider sometimes. The spacers can be added or removed in minutes to change width. Just throwing it out there.

marshall100

#5 Post by marshall100 »

So based on what you guys say, I should soften up the front end to bring the back down?

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

No.
Are those shocks dual rate?

marshall100

#7 Post by marshall100 »

Er, I dunno. Can you remember setting up some Gt Thunder shocks and sending them to boomer earlier this year? I'm not sure they are. They've been way better than stock.

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

cameras are a nice tool to help tweak your suspension or riding style. but I believe I personally over used it. You look comfortable in that pic at that point in the turn. If you are getting beat in the corners then maybe you need something more. but remember you can't have the best of both worlds without at least having to change the spacers like a6 says.

marshall100

#9 Post by marshall100 »

To be honest, I love the way it rides, and it's not a problem in the corners either. It's just in every pic I see it's always cocking it's inside wheel up!

Compared to my 07 gasgas 450 it's nowhere near as wide. I think I may jus give that a blast on track to see what it compares like. It's alot of work to make it any wider too.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

I don't think there is anything wrong. You WANT the inside drive tire to lift off the surface slightly to prevent power-robbing scuffing in the turns. The outside tire travels a longer distance, so the inside tire needs to spin more than it's actual travel distance. If you instead plant the inside tire in a turn and scar up the ground path behind you too much,...you are certainly moving slower.

Leaning to the inside is needed sure, but try a sharp turn with most weight on the inside handlebar and the outside footpeg as you ease some weight off the seat and the inside footpeg -- the machine will turn more effortlessly, and you won't destroy the Queen's lawns over there!