Rear Shock Bolt

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

I was just changing the rear tyres on the dale and was thinking of changing the skid plate on the swingarm. I lft the quad up onto some axle stands and there's a small 'bang' and two lumps of metal ping themselves across the garage. Spent five minutes looking for the cause of said bang and it transpires the lower bolt holding the shock onto the swingarm has decided to take early retirement.

Aside from the fact that I'm certain that would have hurt whilst riding, is there anything special about this bolt? I'd kind not like it to happen again and I need a replacement for the weekend. huh.gif

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Read the head of the bolt. You will want a 12.9 or equivalent.
The stock later bolts are 10mm or 12mm and must be 12.9 grade.
That one looks like a 10mm, but they still hold up OK is not over-torqued -- from where that one snapped, it appears to have been over-torqued.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

I have seen this happen more than once in person! First time we were in the sand and we thought someone had shot at us! The sand where the broken bolt/nut landed looked like a gun shot. We were parked talking! I am sorry, on the 10mm bolt I don't agree with Boomer on. I put the 12mm bolt on all of my quads. Remember if you go with the 12mm bolt kit, you will need to drill out or change the lower shock eye bushings as well. I believe Boomer has those as well in stock. I have experimented with other materials but like the OEM 12mm bolt kit for the best bang for the buck.

marshall100

#4 Post by marshall100 »

I need this for the weekend, so for now it'll be whatever I can get that will fit that is up to the task.

Going forward it's got to be a modified piece. I don't think I've ever taken this bolt off so that's how it came from the factory all that time ago...

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Do exactly like Boomer says on the grade stamp! If you have to, use an allen bolt. They are usually graded 10.9 or higher. Update as soon as you can.

marshall100

#6 Post by marshall100 »

Rather worrying, I can only find grade 8.8 readily available...... unsure.gif

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

Sad to say as far as your ride goes, but I def wouldn't be putting my life and quad on the line with that! You could try a grade 8, but I'm thinking you're in the UK or something, so SAE is probably hard to get ahold of. Pretty surprised you can't find a metric one. I'd be looking to mail order- find someone not too far away and should be able to get it next day even with regular shipping. Or parts stores, some of them have better bolt selections than others.

The next part is to use a torque wrench. Stupid as it seems, it's piece of mind to know you've tightened to spec and not way too far over causing unexpected failure.

marshall100

#8 Post by marshall100 »

Found one! in the middle of nowhere but I've got enough to go racing. There's no way I'd chance 8.8