Steering Damper/Stabilizer

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Guys, noticed that I trashed the rod on my pep steering damper at the last enduro I did. While it would be ok to replace it like for like, I can see it getting damaged again if I'm honest.

The question is, do some of these ones that clamp on the chassis fit the frame on the dale? I can use bits from the one that's there and get it to work but I think that clamping it to the frame would be better than what I have.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

Do a search. I asked about stabilizers a while back. There is an inexpensive one on ebay called ccp. 2000ex was telling me that he adapted on to the cdale. He was saying something about changing the clamp to fit the shape of the cdale frame and it worked. If that's the case, you could probably spend the big bucks and get a precision too. I spoke with precision at the dealer show a few years back and they said they could make a mount for the cdale too. Not sure what that would cost though.

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

I had seen some for other bikes with a square clamp for the frame, which I wasn't sure would fit straight off. I'm guessing it might be best to stick with replacing what I have.....

who_gives_a6

#4 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I have a PEP stick one, stock Moto Ohlins, and a Precision. Precision makes a CDale version by the way, but is $485. If you have a Precision for another brand they have a kit for $185the for the CDale too but that's pretty expensive by itself. I adapted a KTM Precision to a CDale with very little work. It clamps on the upper a-arm mount and looks like it was made for a CDale. However, it's at a bad angle and needs adjusted. I made a small wedge shaped spacer to straighten it up and works like a charm. Pretty easy.

The PEP actually feels the best at slow speeds to me, but I still like the Ohlins best overall for feel and adjustability. The Precision is nice but on a CDale, or atleast with an ASR front end, it can't max or travel when bars are fully turned. That front end I guess turns more than the damper can do. Precision said all the stabilizers are the same minus the mounts, and not all front ends on all quads will work with it. If you can find an Ohlins, I suggest that. I picked one up for $65 on Ebay over the summer.

marshall100

#5 Post by marshall100 »

Thanks, I'll see what I can find. The pepe one is bent ecause I'm certain that on full lock it wasn't quite going far enough. I nipped a tree stump at the last race which pulled the bars clean out of my hands which is when I think this must have happened. It's what having a dale is all about, find it, adjust it, make it fit. smile.gif